Hi, could someone please help me, i'm in great need of some advice. I have a sorta simple scenario from which i gotta build a database from, can someone please shed some light on the matter, no matter how small your input is. thanks

The database must allow for clients to:
- make holiday bookings, each booking may be for a number of tents, and can be
complex; clients organizing family holidays may want different numbers of tents on
different days as family groups come and go;
- reserve (and be billed for) activities, e.g. the hire of canoes; data would include the date
the canoe trip took place and the number of canoes used. Generally activities are
arranged once the holidaymaker is on-site.

needs to record the following data:
About the client:
• Name.
• Address.
• Telephone,
• Credit card details.
About the site:
• For each tent its name and capacity.
• For the restaurant (or other facilities) if present, its name and capacity.
• For equipment, the item type (e.g. canoe or high chair) and how many of the item are
held.
About bookings:
• It is necessary to record that a booking is made.
• The cost of the booking at the time the booking is made.
About billing:
• The cost of items (e.g. a 2-person tent) throughout the year must be recorded.
Generally this will be divided into high, mid and low season rates.
• As time goes by these prices will be updated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I don't understand the question.....?

Sorry, I gotta design an ER diagram for the below case study. I'm good with doing logical designs but the Conceptual designs (which i ofcourse need first) are whats killing me. I'm stuck while doing the design and don't know where to go from where i am. I just started though. Can you please assist me in solving it. I have the case study and the scenario below.

THE CASE STUDY
Paradise Villages is an up-market holiday consortium providing ethically sound activity
holidays with a touch of luxury; accommodation is in canvas ‘villages’. To minimize
environmental impact villages consist of no more than 15 tents, most being between 8 and
12 tents. Each village is locally managed to maximize the use of local knowledge and
products. There are now more than 250 Paradise Villages throughout the UK and
Australasia; numbers continue to rise.
You are to design a database for Paradise Villages. Initially each village will maintain its
own local database, but they will all be of the same design.

Scenario-
Mr Carogill wants to book a special holiday at the Paradise Villages site called ‘Gypsy
Island’ for his family to celebrate his 60th birthday in April 2010.
- His older daughter Julie and her husband Tom have twins who will still be quite young,
so they will want to stay at the site for the whole holiday.
- Mr Carogill, together with his younger daughter Flossie and her partner Jo, plans to
make an expedition part way through the holiday.
- At the end of the holiday Flossie and Jo have to leave a day earlier than the others.
- Mr Carogill’s brother and his brother’s wife cannot make the first week of the holiday,
but will join in later.
Thus Mr Carogill’s requirements are:
7th – 11th and 17th – 21st April 2010 tent for single occupancy (for Mr Carogill)
7th – 11th and 17th – 20th April 2010 tent for 2 (Flossie and Jo)
7th – 21st April 2010 tent for 4 (2 adults + 2 children)
15th – 21st April 2010 tent for 2 (brother and his wife)
Mr Carogill wants to pre-book his party into the gourmet restaurant on 19th April 2010. For
this he wants to reserve 2 high chairs (for the twins).
He wants any activities booked by his family during the holiday to be charged against his
account (thus, for example, Flossie and Jo should not be presented with a bill when they
leave).
Your database should allow Paradise Villages to meet Mr Carogill’s requirements assuming
they have the capacity (i.e. tents are available for those dates etc.).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.