A new site that I have to work with requires me to use putty to connect to the site if I want to work remotely as opposed to logging in to their phpMyAdmin to manipulate my data..
I am unfamiliar; please read that has having no knowledge of how to do this.
So far, from my reading, I have collected the tools to do this, but I do not know how to integrate the tools to get this to work and that is the reason for this email.
I have Putty and HeidiSQL and apparently HeidiSQL has Plink which appears to be of value, but once again I am unclear how to use this.
Given all of the above, can someone point me to a tutorial, an existing series of notes or give me notes on how to run these applications so I can see and manipulate my data on my new hosting service?
Thanks!
WBR

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

A new site that I have to work with requires me to use putty to connect to the site if I want to work remotely as opposed to logging in to their phpMyAdmin to manipulate my data..
I am unfamiliar; please read that has having no knowledge of how to do this.
So far, from my reading, I have collected the tools to do this, but I do not know how to integrate the tools to get this to work and that is the reason for this email.
I have Putty and HeidiSQL and apparently HeidiSQL has Plink which appears to be of value, but once again I am unclear how to use this.
Given all of the above, can someone point me to a tutorial, an existing series of notes or give me notes on how to run these applications so I can see and manipulate my data on my new hosting service?
Thanks!
WBR

Attached is a doc I worked up on how to use ssh tunnel to connect to mysql with putty..

Thanks for the doc file. I think my ISP is blocking me. It has a firewall that is not allowing external apps from talking to MySQL servers.

Thanks for the doc file. I think my ISP is blocking me. It has a firewall that is not allowing external apps from talking to MySQL servers.

Hello,

If you can ssh to the server then the tunnel will work because the firewall will only see port 22 being used. It may be your MySQL login. Try using 127.0.0.1:3306 on the tunnel page in destination instead of localhost:3306 or post he error message.

Hello,

If you can ssh to the server then the tunnel will work because the firewall will only see port 22 being used. It may be your MySQL login. Try using 127.0.0.1:3306 on the tunnel page in destination instead of localhost:3306 or post he error message.

I can log into my SSH account using putty. When I try to connect to the database using the session manager I get error message 1045.
On the Settings tab I filled in the credentials for the database and under Network I set SSH tunnel.
On the SSH tunnel tab I used the credential for the SSH. See picture attached.

I can log into my SSH account using putty. When I try to connect to the database using the session manager I get error message 1045.
On the Settings tab I filled in the credentials for the database and under Network I set SSH tunnel.
On the SSH tunnel tab I used the credential for the SSH. See picture attached.

If your softwaqre has ssh tunnel built in then remove the settings in putty and use the ssh tunnel in the software. Under the host ut the IP address of the server instead of 127.0.0.1. Your software will handle the rest.

After much research I found that my ISP has the MySQL server hosted in another enviorment and users are unable to access it unless they are using the ISP servers.
Thanks for your assistance.
WBR

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.