Hi all, I've been asked to do a website for a rural based school. They want an online application for admissions. I have a basic knowledge of webpage design but not advanced enough...here are the following requirements:

Aim: to develop an online application management system.

'front end' users can apply by filling in some sort of dynamic form. they will need to be able to:

- upload any supporting documents
- save application draft. log in and out before deadline and make changes to application.
- be able to view a draft version and download a copy after submission
- automated emailing of updates
- be able to log on after submission and check for any updates on review process. but not be able to change any part of the application.

'back end' users would be the school administraters. they will need to be able to:
- have a log in/out feature to access submitted application.
- have priviliges to review and approve or deny where needed.
- be able to email front end users via online interface.

does anybody have any advice on what software I could use to develop something like this? also any hints on a general design of the system?

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Suggest: Do a web search for similar schoos: Private schools, advanced placement programs, other rural schools, schools that specialize in "distance education" and the like. At least one of them will have a nearly perfect match for your needs, already developed. You might "pay" them some extra development (added features or bug fixing) for the use of their code, or they might be delighted to share.

"Not invented here" is a mantra of small minds.

hey thanks...I'll look into that. Any more ideas?.....before I mark this as solved.

After initial research, contact a few of the better seeming folks and make sure that my belief that they will share is real. Then be sure you have a "customer" from your school: Not more than 3 nor less than 1 person who is authorized to make decisions (they are probably a "selection committee" or some such from their perspective). Have them view some of the web sites that you can work with, and give them a very careful point by point tour. Make them critique each page or form to be sure they like what you can offer, and so you have a clear set of change requirements (if any).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.