Hi All,

I'm messing around with different PHP scripts on my server. I can't seem to setup MySQL. I have installed and configured it. But I have now idea what to do with it. Is it like PHP where all you have to do is install it and its done? How do I create databases? Are there any good tutorials out there? I am running a PIII 733MHz server with windows 2003 server data center edition.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

MySQL will just sit there unless something tells it to do something. An easy way to start creating databases and adding tables and data to them is to get a GUI (Navicat is an easy one to get started with. When you are ready to learn some more in-depth commands for MySQL, you will want to start familiarizing yourself with the MySQL Reference Manual. When you are ready to start using MySQL from within PHP, you will want to read a good tutorial on the subject. This tutorial should do well for you.

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/

Quote from their website :
phpMyAdmin is a tool written in PHP intended to handle the administration of MySQL over the Web. Currently it can create and drop databases, create/drop/alter tables, delete/edit/add fields, execute any SQL statement, manage keys on fields, manage privileges,export data into various formats and is available in 50 languages.

This is the best web-based MySQL tool I have found.

The MySQL server also needs to be running before using it. It is not like PHP, since PHP only runs when it needs to. Start -> Run -> "services.msc" -> Enter. Then select the MySQL service and hit 'Start'.

MySQL when installed, automatically starts the service for you.. Check and make sure that it is set to autostart

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.