mysqldump -u root -p pass**** coke_pos > testbc.sql i tried this command to generate back-up of my database but i got an error about, eroor in my syntax

i have mysql 5.5.11 community server and i am using mysql workbench 5.2, i am using windows 7

please help

i will appreciate in any help

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What is the exact error message? Also, omit the spaces between parameter flags and the parameters: mysqldump -uroot -ppass**** coke_pos > testbc.sql

What is the exact error message? Also, omit the spaces between parameter flags and the parameters: mysqldump -uroot -ppass**** coke_pos > testbc.sql

ERROR 1064 (4200): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'mysqldump -u root -p emachine coke_pos > testbc.sql' at line 1

this is the error i encounter

mysqldump is an OS command, i.e. an executable program, not a mysql statement. You cannot enter it in mysql but only on the command line.

i cant understand can you explain more. sorry for that actually i am new in sql thanks.

Find out what a command line program is. Google is your friend.
Press the "windows" button, enter "cmd" into the search field and press enter. You'll get a command line window.
Now enter your mysqldump code. You'll probably have to set the system path, too.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.