Hi I'm new here so be gentle! ;)

I have a php form which poppulates an HTML <Select> tag with a list of approx 2500 items which consist of an id; a code and a name. The items come from a MySql database

To make it easier to use I want to be able to optionally limit the number of lines to select from based on a search criteria.

What is the best way of going about this please?

11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by AdamW

You would simply use the WHERE and LIMIT clauses in your MySQL select statement. For example, SELECT * from mytable; selects all rows from a table named mytable. SELECT col1, col2 from mytable; selects only the columns entitled col1 and col2 from mytable. SELECT col1, col2 from mytable WHERE col1 = 1; selects only the columns entitled col1 and col2 from records where col1 is the value 1. SELECT col1, col2 from mytable WHERE col1 = 1 LIMIT 10; does the same as the previous line only selects just the first ten records it finds, regardless of how many fulfill the WHERE criteria.

I need to be able to limit to a search criteria which I wont know until after the page is displayed. I can not construct the where part of the sql at the time I first need the records so I need to be able to search within the record set on the page itself in order to populate the $_Post with the record id.

Does that make sense?

After you retrieve a MySQL resource array, one usually loops through it to output it. Within that loop, simply use an IF clause, and only output if a particular condition is true.

Thanks, I ended up by using a nice little Java Script function which can be found here to filter the options

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.