Does anybody have any experience with changing an INT column to BIGINT so it will handle larger integer numbers?

I have read a lot from searching the subject, but still a little leary of changing it on a live database.

Would be nice if someone here has done it without any issues.

Thanks in advance.

Douglas

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@showman13

Does anybody have any experience with changing an INT column to BIGINT so it will handle larger integer numbers?

This is something new. I never used this before. This is like a MYSQL question. I always used INT.

May I ask why you want to change it from INT to BIGINT?

I have a system structured that generates position numbers mathematically... I didn't realize what the end effect would be until now, so until I can rewrite many scripts to handle things differently, I need the ability to use some very large integers...

Thanks for your response

Think I will repost this in the MySql room and make it solved here.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@showman13

Think I will repost this in the MySql room and make it solved here.

Why did you click SOLVE so soon?

You can post this question here.

I never mention you can't post it here.

I know other members in PHP will put some insight too because I also want to know.

This question suit here.

It shouldn't be an issue as bigint can handle larger numbers than int. The other way around could be more complicated.

I moved it to the Database / MySql room because I realized that I was in the wrong room for a DB question.

But I do appreciate the response...

I wish I hadn't ever designed this like I did, and definitely need to restructure it, but need it to survive while I do that...

Thanks again for the response pritaeas... I'm going to give it a shot first thing in the AM and hope it won't explode.

Poor structure and poor planning will get you every time.

Douglas

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.