Hi.
I have taken over the maintenance and development of an application created using C# in Visual Studio 2010 that makes use of an edmx file to provide mapping to a database (Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0).

The database itself holds only tables with columns but no data at the moment. I have added a new column to a single table and have tried updating the edmx file in the code using the command 'Update Model from Database...'

The command seems to begin, but after several minutes an out of memory exception is thrown and the edmx file has not been updated. I have monitored the memory usage in Task Manager whilst this commands runs, but there is no indication that anywhere near the physical memory limit is being reached.

My PC only has 2Gb of RAM and runs Windows XP 32 bit. Am I really running out of memory (meaning I need to upgrade), or is there something else going on here that I may be missing?

Cheers!

I assume it's something else, but I have no clue what can be causing this. Never seen this happen, even on very large databases.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.