Hey, sorry if I'm in the wrong forum, but I need some help with getting the left and top values for a tile from a tile set. A book I have gives these two formulae:

left = (current frame % number of columns) * sprite width
top = (current frame / number of columns) * sprite height

Now, I'm no expert, but these seem completely wrong.

For the left value, I came up with:

left = ((current frame-1) % number of columns) * width

This seems to work based on my testing

For top, I came up with:

top=((current frame/cols) - 1) * height

but after testing found that it only works for tiles on the right side of the set.

Does anyone know a formula I can use for the top value/check if the one I have for left value make sense/check if the original two in my book were fine and I'm just crazy. Thanks. :)

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by CoolGamer48

The first two look good; assuming you have a fixed number of columns and that the tileset can then extend "infinately" vertically, and the tiles are given frame indices like:

0 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9

If you index your tiles starting from 1... don't : start using 0 as first index, the math will be alot cleaner.. But, if you must use 1-based indexing; subtract 1 from the current frame before working with it in calculations..

One thing I would do; though:

left = (current frame % number of columns) * sprite width
top =[B] int([/B]current frame / number of columns[B]) [/B]* sprite height 

( where [B]int [/B]is whatever the function is in your language to truncate a decimal to an integer - i.e. round by removing the fractional part )

If you're having problems understanding why it works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic

Hmm.... ya, you're right. The example started with tile 1, though not 0, so that was a problem, and there was no mention of using floor() (the book uses C).

Guess that might be part of the reason that version of the book is discontinued...

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.