What is the difference between hkeletal animation and procedural animation? I get different answers each time

BattlingMaxo

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

What is the difference between hkeletal animation and procedural animation? I get different answers each time

Skeletal animation is about manipulating bones attached to different polygon groups. This makes animation easy and quick, however it is also some what more limiting that procedural which runs in real time. Procedural can apply different rules and information to different objects so that they all have the desired effect without the action having to be known before. IE a character walking is perhaps done with bones. But rag-doll physics, is most definitely done using procedural animation since you have no way of knowing where the character is going to be when he dies, thus you cannot program the bones to over correctly before hand. However procedural program has the ability to apply physics and correctly animate the body no matter where it is located at the given moment.

Chris

Thanks, Chris, I was a bit confused because i want to develop a 3d aquarium, the fish will be fully rigged (bones) so i thought skeletal animation might help but i think procedural will work best since i want it to be in realtime

BattlingMaxo

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.