Hello there, i'm a new to this forum and i was always curious about game developing so here are some questions about game developing:

- Is it a good job?
- What qualities are required to develop a game?
- How much time does it take to develop a game?
- What is the most challenging aspect of this career or hobby?
- Is it fun for real or it's a very tough thing to do?
- What programming languages are the most redommended and why?

HUGE thanks in advance! :D
Happy new year

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

- Depends on the company you work for like any other job

- Depends on what aspect of the development you're involved with. Project manager, programmer, writer, graphics designer/3d modeler.

- Most challenging aspect is actually getting the job as a game developer. As a hobby, large projects are difficult to finish by yourself. It takes a lot of commitment on your own part to stick with it as it's very easy to lose focus when a project's development can take a year or more.

- Both

- C++ has always been the most popular, it's been around a long time and there's loads of support libraries already out there. Java for web-based games can work well. With Microsoft's XNA, you now have a good framework for developing games with .NET

Hello there, i'm a new to this forum and i was always curious about game developing so here are some questions about game developing:

- Is it a good job?
- What qualities are required to develop a game?
- How much time does it take to develop a game?
- What is the most challenging aspect of this career or hobby?
- Is it fun for real or it's a very tough thing to do?
- What programming languages are the most redommended and why?

HUGE thanks in advance! :D
Happy new year

1) It's a very variating job, but it will mostly depend on the working environment, and how you like the others.

2) Enthutiasm, skills in your area.

3) A modern game takes more than a year to develop, starting from scratch, but mostly it depends on the amount of employees working on it, and having a good engine, or being able to reuse previous content is a huge time saver.

4) Well, the challenges would mainly be the work that you are not very good at, and need to learn about.

5) Is it mostly fun, but as many other things, game development has very boring work too, that you will pull your hair over, as documenting, or writing log messages, or debugging issues.

6) C++ is a great language, that's very flexible and powerful. Most games are build in C++, fx all Source games.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.