I have a situation where there are numerous objects that need to wander about on a 2D plane. The objects should avoid certain areas in the plane and should also eventually make their way toward a desired goal destination.

Where can I find resources that would help with implementing this type of behavior?

first of all i would look into path finding look at Dijkstra's algorithm or A* to get an understanding on how they could find there way to the objective.

now if you wanted them to wander around randomly while also making there way to the objective when you are evaluating the squares around add a random value to each square this will give the illusion of them randomly walking around but at the same time moving toward the objective.

to stop them from going to places where they cant go you can use normal collision detection or you are using a map try pixel collision detection.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.