so I've been working with alot of common interfaces and the typical layout for this data seems to follow:
- LRS (Loc, Rot, Scale) >( calculated to )> 3x4 transform matrix (Parent Relation)
- 3x4 local-bind matrix (Parent relation)
- 3x4 inverse-bind matrix (Inverse-World Relation)

the most important matrix is the transform matrix, which should be the same as either the local-bind matrix, or in some cases, the world-bind matrix
the inverse-bind matrix is usually not needed, but is usually pre-calculated to save processing power.

and then there's the world-bind matrix which is usually dynamically calculated by multiplying the local-bind matrix with the parent world-bind matrix.
(inverting this creates the inverse bind matrix)

so what I want to know is:
how do I check that the supplied data (unknown relation) matches these standards??

extra info: (for noobs)
Q: what do all of these matrices do exactly
well, the LRS is added to the animation's current-frame transformations before being calculated into a local-bind matrix.
this is multiplied with the inverse bind before being weighted and added to an influence matrix specified by a weight group to transform a given vector by.

the vertices are multiplied by the full 3x4 influence matrix, while the normals are only multiplied by a 3x3 rotation matrix (stripping the location from the influence matrix (not certain about the scale))

Contributors
Replies
Views
2 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by rubberman

anyone else know how to verify bone data??

I probably should mention this is for a program that converts models from games rather than a game itself

Edited by DarkPikachu

if anyone wants to know, here's my current code I never finished before asking: (python)

def __VerifyBoneTree(BID,Data,children,wpbind,wptransform):
    BoneName, BDL, (l,r,s), Res, Bind, Inv_Bind, PBID, PrBID, CBID, NBID = Data

default = __rr.Matrix44(DM) # default (same as identity)

transform = __rr.Matrix44.from_scale(s) * __rr.Matrix44.from_eulers(r) * __rr.Matrix44.from_translation(l) # Local Transform
    bind = __rr.Matrix44(Bind) # Local Bind
    inverse = __rr.Matrix44(Inv_Bind) # World Inverse Bind

wtransform = __rr.matrix44.multiply(transform,wptransform) # World Transform
    wbind = __rr.matrix44.multiply(bind,wpbind) # World Bind

# validate inverse (world location)
    if (default == inverse).all(): # inverse should almost never be defaulted (unless root)
        if (default != transform).all() and (default != bind).all():
            inverse = __rr.matrix33.inverse(wbind)
        else:
            inverse = __rr.matrix33.inverse(wpbind)

if (transform == bind).all():
        if (default == bind).all(): # possible problem (this may be the proper local location)
            if (default != inverse).all(): # this may not be the proper locations
                wbind = __rr.matrix33.inverse(inverse)
                transform, bind = [ wbind * __rr.matrix33.inverse(wpbind) ]*2

else: # (not defaulted) make sure the bind matches the inverse
            if (bind != inverse).all(): # this is obviousely wrong
                inverse = __rr.matrix33.inverse(wbind)

else: # warning, no match
        t = __rr.matrix33.inverse(wpbind*inverse)
        if (default == bind).all():
            if (t == transform).all():

elif (default == transform).all():
            if (t == bind).all():

else: # neither are default

if BID in children: # if this bone has any children
        for CID in children[BID]:
            __VerifyBoneTree(CID,Data,children,wbind,wtransform)

I wanted to make sure I was doing my crap right

EDIT:
import pyrr as __rr

Edited by DarkPikachu

ok, I think I might be onto something with this:

def __VerifyBoneTree(BID,Data,children,wpbind,wptransform):
    BoneName, BDL, (l,r,s), Res, Bind, Inv_Bind, PBID, PrBID, CBID, NBID = Data

transform = __rr.Matrix44.from_scale(s) * __rr.Matrix44.from_eulers(r) * __rr.Matrix44.from_translation(l) # Local Transform
    bind = __rr.Matrix44(Bind) # Local Bind
    inverse = __rr.Matrix44(Inv_Bind) # World Inverse Bind

# gather matrix types
    _DE = __rr.Matrix44(DM)

_LT = transform*__rr.matrix33.inverse(wpbind)
    _WT = transform*wpbind
    _RT = transform

_LB = bind*__rr.matrix33.inverse(wpbind)
    _WB = bind*wpbind
    _RB = bind

_LI = inverse*__rr.matrix33.inverse(wpbind)
    _WI = inverse*wpbind
    _RI = inverse

# inverses
    _ILT, _IWT, _IRT, _ILB, _IWB, _IRB, _ILI, _IWI, _IRI = [__rr.matrix33.inverse(mtx) for mtx in [_LT, _WT, _RT, _LB, _WB, _RB, _LI, _WI, _RI]]

# comparisons (should gather AT LEAST 4 types [ default, transform, bind, inverse(, other) ]
    _comps = { mtx.__str__():None for mtx in [_DE, _LT, _WT, _RT, _LB, _WB, _RB, _LI, _WI, _RI, _ILT, _IWT, _IRT, _ILB, _IWB, _IRB, _ILI, _IWI, _IRI] }

# now find relations and test for inverse relation and apply

wtransform = transform*wptransform # World Transform
    wbind = bind*wpbind # World Bind

if BID in children: # if this bone has any children
        for CID in children[BID]:
            __VerifyBoneTree(CID,Data,children,wbind,wtransform)

relation is given as supplied and could be given improperly

edit to the last part of that code:

# comparisons (should gather AT LEAST 4 types [ default, transform, bind, inverse(, other) ]
matrices = [ eval(cmtx) for cmtx in { mtx.__str__():None for mtx in [_DE, _LT, _WT, _RT, _LB, _WB, _RB, _LI, _WI, _RI, _ILT, _IWT, _IRT, _ILB, _IWB, _IRB, _ILI, _IWI, _IRI] } ]

so now that I've got 1 of each individual matrix, what can I do to find out which is the correct matrix and properly reassign or recalculate what's needed??

well, I see I'm getting nowhere with this, so I've scrapped this and went on with a more-static method, changing my internal format to keep track of the supplied matrix relation as well as what's defaulted.

thanks for the help everyone

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.