I'm doing bachelor's in computer science, i want to develop a game on my fyp. My question is how big it should be to accepted . And gauge me some sample game which student created in their bachelor's level.. and your opinion which type of game etc...

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I have a few answers. If you could write it in one line of code, that would show some advanced skill level. Also, if someone wrote Tic Tac Toe in a few million lines that would show another skill or lack there of.

That is, the size of the code varies with the goal and the coder's skills. So there is no correct answer to "how big."

I typed out a long post, hit "Submit", and... I'm not sure what happened, but it didn't go through. To sum up, no one judges people by the volume of code produced, except possibly in a negative way, as in "This took way too many lines". Some people also take it to the opposite extreme, combining ten lines of readable code into into one line of baffling code which seems to work, but you can't tell why without taking it all apart. Every once in a while that's impressive, but keep in mind that unless you are the only one who ever has to read/understand/change/maintain your code, creating code that you have to be a genius to see what's going on is a bad thing, not a good thing. You obfuscate code to baffle your competitors, not your colleagues, and definitely not your boss or your professor or anyone who has to judge/gradfe your work. Chances are that looking at your code is not the only thing on their "To Do" list, so make it as efficient and stress-free as possible for them and you'll be rewarded.

As for how big/difficult your project should be, you are submitting this as proof that you deserve a Bachelor's Degree, so it has to meet at least that bar. It should not "barely" meet that bar. It should be good enough to impress someone who is interviewing you for a job requiring a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, so pretend that your professor is that interviewer. Also, this professor likely has some standards that you are expected to meet, so it's better to ask him this question and get his opinion than AssertNull's and RProffitt's opinion because we are not the ones awarding you the degree (though we could be the ones interviewing you for that entry level position, so again, make it a project that you can show a potential employer and make it good enough so that we'll hire you instead of your classmates/competitors).

Your project should be big enough. complicated enough, and interesting enough to do this. It should be big enough to do the job, and no bigger, so get rid of the extraneous parts, put enough documentation in to aid the person trying to understand, but not so much as to bog them down. Pretend you were briefing the CEO of a big company or you were "pitching" your project to an investor. To do so, you would need a "brief" that quickly summed up your project and impressed them, and you would need to be prepared to delve into any aspect of the project quickly and succinctly, to the level they wanted, and no deeper. Your code and documentation should reflect that. Consider that you are asking your professor to "vouch for you". By granting you a degree, the professor and university are putting their credibility and prestige on the line. It's not something they want to do lightly. Pick your project accordingly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.