Does anyone know about robovm??? It is a platform to make ios apps in java. I need it for a new project I´m working on in a nearshore outsourcing company.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

RoboVM was a nice open source project that ended up being owned, then killed, by Microsoft in 2016.
In my opinion you would be mad to start a new development on a dead platform.

Moving from Java to Swift isn't that hard, and you'll love the way its designers learned from Java's problems and did it better. It also guarantees the earliest possible and fullest possible support for new IOS versions and devices. The XCode IDE is pretty good too.

commented: Since Apple issues its own issue of Java, there's this and more. Get the Xcode IDE and go native. +15

rproffitt: Apple have Java for MacOS, although its a very old version and not well supported (current Javas for MacOS from Oracle/Apache are fully supported products), but neither Apple nor Oracle nor Apache have a Java for IOS.
Apple's rules for IOS apps appear to prohibit installing non-Apple runtimes...

App Store Review Guidelines ... 2.5.2 Apps ... may not ... execute code
https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#software-requirements

Swift/XCode is really the only way to go.

@JamesCherrill. I've read that before and for reasons our main products don't have any iOS or Apple version. We use the old serial port Bluetooth profile and Apple botched that long ago so we can't issue an Apple version. We also have some code that is data driven so it's almost like a runtime. So maybe a mixed blessing we don't have to put up with Apple on this as it's an industrial control setup app and no one would understand if Apple blocked our app for any reason.

We also have some code that is data driven so it's almost like a runtime.

There's an inevitable grey area between a data-driven app and code-executing app. Data-driven is OK, butf your data is so complex that it could look like a simple programming language then who knows how Apple may approve or reject, or change their minds in the future? You can't build a business under that kind of uncertainty.

(And who would chose iPad/iPhone, the ultimate consumer product, for an industrial control application anyway?)

Who would? Some home automation (pre-smart home?) did and here we are years later with iPads that you can't replace. We've been fine with a succession from beginning days with PalmOS then WinCE and now Android. It's not industrial control on the devices but setup. The old controllers have some 3 buttons and a two digit display which if you were a masochist you could use but with close to one hundred options we all use the Android setup tools.

It's a real shame that Apple did something to the Bluetooth system. Maybe their adapter is cheaper today but with 20 buck smart phones that can run the setup apps, there's little chance we're going to ever revisit the Apple world.

It's a real shame that Apple did something to the Bluetooth system.

It's not like Bluetooth was awesome to begin with. I've had several laptops and peripherals with Bluetooth for years and never had one that didn't give me daily grief. Spotty connections even at close range, randomly dropped connections, devices not found, and paired but refusal to connect.

Thanks for writing about Bluetooth dropouts. This is actually where our little company got its foot in the door on such work. The code we wrote at the application level works hard to re-establish the link in difficult connections.

The data is packetized, CRC'd and there's a reply expected so we know it made it there and back. It's not as speedy but the app is used by thousands in the companies that use it. There was another competitor but they would just fail on a lost link and you can imagine bugging the user on every packet drop what happens.

This is why when members get into packets, UDP and such I might perk up. We don't use any Internet Protocol but like UDP we do deal with the loss and have methods to get the data across and rebuild the link WITHOUT bugging the users. In the engineering mode of the app, we show the retry, link rebuild rates because we want to see the statistics.

But back to Apple. They added some then proprietary communications security chip and didn't reveal much about it. So that was the end of that phone for our use.

At the risk of derailing this thread... Bluetooth did it again. Now that I have an app for viewing/editing text files on my Android phone, I tried to send a file.md file via Bluetooth. Apparently, even though it is a text file (and I tried setting the Perceived Type to text, Bluetooth still says it doesn't know how to handle it.

As far as I am concerned Bluetooth is complete crap.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.