Hi guyz,
What is the most important step in software development?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Figuring out the logic. And organizing your code.

Separating what is wanted from what is needed. That comes before figuring out the logic and organizing your code. It all starts with the specs.

I learned very early on that my job as a programmer was not to write code. It was to provide solutions. The best solution was often the one requiring the least coding.

commented: 100% correct, without the proper planning and maps there is no app! +15

Your answer is specific to being a software developer consultant providing solutions to clients.

While every step in the software development process is crucial, it is generally agreed upon that requirements gathering and analysis is one of the most important steps. This is the initial phase where the project's objectives, features, and functionalities are defined, and it lays the foundation for the entire development process. Here's why requirements gathering and analysis is considered critical:

1. Understanding client needs
  2. Defining scope and constraints
  3. Avoiding rework and costly changes
  4. Enabling effective communication and collaboration
  5. Guiding the development process
  6. Managing expectations

While requirements gathering and analysis is critical, it's important to recognize that software development is an iterative process. Feedback, collaboration, and continuous adaptation are vital at every stage to ensure successful outcomes.

commented: Perfect explanation. +15

Personally, I think the most important step is getting paid...

Does that step come before or after choosing a framework? :) In all seriousness, that could apply to anything anyone chooses to do as a consultant. If the question was “what’s the most important step when baking cookies?” then a baker might offer the exact same answer.

If that is the most common answer, is it not the most important step then? ;)

Honestly, the most important thing is to understand what your client wants! I work in a software house and the most difficult thing I find is understanding your clients requirements. To be honest, this is the most difficult and irritating task, as clients don't know what they actually want. and if you proceed without clear instructions, your efforts will be in vain. This is what I have learned the hard way!

The best part is always when they signed off on their requirements (no matter how specific), and then come complaining afterwards.

Better yet, our client got a new interim manager, got a lot of work done on the software. A year later her work was done, she got replaced and almost everything was reverted to it's original state. At least you get paid twice ;-P

clients don't know what they actually want

As a software maintainer/developer, I used to get requests from our control centre by email or memo. My response was always to reword the request in my own (more specific, with weasel words removed) terms and email that back with "As I understand it, this is what you are requesting." I would not proceed until I got a yay or nay response.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.