I have a question. I have been studying C++ and it seems to be getting a tad repetitive. What I really would like to do is more with electronics but also with C++. My laptop only has USB ports. I never wanted to be a programmer but would like to use the computer as a tool, after building electronic boards and having be able to control them with a computer. Right now I am still trying to make sense of Memory models(header files and so on). The part I'm not so sure about is this really necessary for interfacing? It seems a bit too scattered to me.

As always any help will be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

>Memory models(header files and so on)
Memory models isn't usually a term that applies to headers. "Memory model" typically refers to the rules one has to follow (at an extremely low level) to properly use the memory addressing scheme for the system.

>It seems a bit too scattered to me.
I can't answer your question without making a lot of assumptions. Can you be more specific?

Basically, I would like to build an electronic board and be able to control motors and other sensors(not just robotics). I have studied the very basics of C++ and it seems ok, but how do I go from console to being able to plug something into a computer. I can also have access to a computer with a serial port(my wife's computer). What command or snippets are there to do that?

Hi there, eesti44! I'm also more of an electronics guy like you..

You can do that with hyperterminal or low-level programming using functions like inportb, outportb, etc... There are also some libraries related to port programming. Refer to some recent posts over here related to port programming.

If you would be more specific regarding your problem/project, then I'd be able to help you in a better way..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.