pparker 0 Newbie Poster

Hi,
Have a quick couple of questions. I have been assigned a project that involves modifying a MS Excel 2003 VBA app so that it gets data from SQL Server 2005 instead of a MS Access database. I'm unfamiliar with Visual Basic in general, and will have to learn about it.

My questions (other than whether or not an old VBA app can talk to SQL Server 2005 at all) are:
Will VBA for Excel 2003 be the same as VB6? If I study VB6 at home, will I be able to use what I'm learning on the VBA app at work? Or will it be like one of the .NET versions of VB? In the Excel 2003 tools, I am able to use ADO library, will that be 'classic ADO' or .NET ADO? (I've read that they're different). Currently the app uses DAO to talk to the Access DB, but I will probably try to change to ADO.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. And if this should posted in a different area, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.