Write a program that determines the day number (1 to 366) in a year for a date that is provided as input in the format dd-mm-yyyy. As an example, 01-01-2000 is day 1. 31-12-2001 is day 365. 31-12-2000 is day 366 because 2000 is the leap year. A year is a leap year, if it is divisible by 4. You may assume that user has entered input in correct format and that is a valid gate.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

void main ()
{
	string astring;
	int b;

cout<<"enter the date in format dd-mm--yyyy";
	cin>>astring;

if (astring.at(2)==0) && (astring.at(3)==1)
		b=astring.at(0)*10+astring.at(1)
		else
		b=astring.at(0)*10+astring.at(1)

please tell me what should i do to make it full program please help me. it is in C++.

thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

First you will need an int array that contains the cumulative number of days in each month. For example: int days[] = {0, 31, 59, ... }; Next chop up the string into its individual int elements.

Then determine if year is a leap year, if so then add one to days[2] (which is Feb) and each of the other days elements beyond 2.

Now for the actual calculation.
1. Find the number of days from 1 Jan to the start of the specified month. To do that subtract 1 from the month and then get the number of days in that month from the days[] array. Example: January = 1 - 1 and days[0] = 0, Feb = 2 - 1 and days[1] = 31 because there are 31 days between 1 January and 1 February.

2. Finally just add the spefied day to the above total.

If I enter a the date 1 Feb 2008 then first get days from 1 Jan to, but not including, 1 Feb, which is days[1]. If I enter 1 March 2008 then its days[2] = 59 (or 60 if a leap year).

If I enter 17 March 2008 then its days[2] = 59 + 17 = 76.

First you will need an int array that contains the cumulative number of days in each month. For example: int days[] = {0, 31, 59, ... }; Next chop up the string into its individual int elements.

Then determine if year is a leap year, if so then add one to days[2] (which is Feb) and each of the other days elements beyond 2.

Now for the actual calculation.
1. Find the number of days from 1 Jan to the start of the specified month. To do that subtract 1 from the month and then get the number of days in that month from the days[] array. Example: January = 1 - 1 and days[0] = 0, Feb = 2 - 1 and days[1] = 31 because there are 31 days between 1 January and 1 February.

2. Finally just add the spefied day to the above total.

If I enter a the date 1 Feb 2008 then first get days from 1 Jan to, but not including, 1 Feb, which is days[1]. If I enter 1 March 2008 then its days[2] = 59 (or 60 if a leap year).

If I enter 17 March 2008 then its days[2] = 59 + 17 = 76.

thanks but can you please send me the edited code.

>>thanks but can you please send me the edited code.
Nope, try it and post what you have done so solve this yourself.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.