Heya i want to use ShowWindow(hWnd, SW_HIDE); to hide some application,

The problem is that the code i wrote works perfectly for any application except the one i need it for

heres the code

HWND hWnd = FindWindow(NULL, sName);
if(hWnd)
{
	ShowWindow(hWnd, SW_HIDE);
}

it does execute the line "ShowWindow(hWnd, SW_HIDE);" but it has no affect on the application, while if i put "SW_MAXIMIZE" , "SW_MINIMIZE" or any other "SW_***" it works perfectly and does manipulation on the application window,

Any idea why SW_HIDE does not work while all other SW_*** works?

Thanks Ahead....

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Try calling ShowWindow twice, according to MSDN the second parameter to ShowWindow() might get ignored the first time it is called. I don't know if it will work, but its worth a try.

HWND hWnd = FindWindow(NULL, sName);
if(hWnd)
{
}

Try calling ShowWindow twice

Is it a joke ?!

Does it happens with all the Windows or with any specefic Window ?
Are you trying to hide any window which you have created or any other applciaiton's Window ?

The WM_SHOWWINDOW message is sent to a window when the window is about to be hidden or shown.

I suspect the window you are trying to hide processes this message and prevents itself from hiding.

You might use Spy++ to see wheather or not this notification is send to the target Window.

Is it a joke ?!

No. Did you read the link I posted? MSDN says the first time ShowWindow is called SW_HIDE might be ignored. After that SW_HIDE parameter is honored.

commented: Helped me, Thx +1

thx 4 the help Ancient Dragon, i will try it and will post the results...

Hi again... I found the solution...

1)This phenomenon happens with only one specific window...

2)To force this window to hide I do need call the "ShowWindow(hWnd, SW_HIDE);" Twice in the following way:

myClass::FocusP(str);
myClass::Hidep(str);
void myClass::FocusP(CString str)
{
	HWND hWnd = FindWindow(NULL, str);
	if(hWnd){
		ShowWindow(hWnd, SW_MINIMIZE);

}
}

void myClass::Hidep(CString str)
{
	HWND hWnd = FindWindow(NULL, str);
	if(hWnd){
	}
}

I could call twice the myClass::FocusP(str); twice, but i prefered to split it... looks better IMO

Thx 4 the help Ancient Dragon and others...

SetFocus( this->hWnd );
ShowWindow( this->hWnd, SW_HIDE );

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.