can i make a program in vb that will open a picture file of words and copy the words off of the picture into a text document? im asking here first because truly i dont know where i would start, there would be just to much to it.

another question is when i make a program that has a list of things and want that info sent to someone else, can it do that? because im planning on building computers probably during the summer and was trying to make a program with the parts i will use so the consumer can just click through and select the ones they want, then i hope they can click a button, and from their computer, it will send me the data from the program, whether to another program i have, or an email of the list of items.

All help appreciated and thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

The firs part of your request is called OCR (optical character recognition) and is very very hard. Try a Google search on it.

all i could find from 2 pages of google where programs of it, non that helped me make it myself:( do you know where i can get help or learn to make it myself?

>do you know where i can get help or learn to make it myself?
There are tons of papers on OCR, ICR, OMR, and whatever **R's you can think of for document processing. However, I don't know of any off the top of my head that don't require access to ACM or IEEE technical databases. So my recommendation would be to get an open source OCR program and see how they do things. you can learn a lot by reading code.

There are plug-ins for vb.net that interface with Adobe Acrobat. There might even be a COM object or something to interface with Microsoft Document Imaging which has OCR functions. Don't re-invent the wheel. Use software the already has OCR. Where are the images coming from? Most scanners will also scan-to-pdf w/OCR.

Try these as SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&type_of_search=soft&words=ocr

Thanks but i am looking at it and i dont understand any of it, it might be because it is for something called cv

There are plug-ins for vb.net that interface with Adobe Acrobat. There might even be a COM object or something to interface with Microsoft Document Imaging which has OCR functions. Don't re-invent the wheel. Use software the already has OCR. Where are the images coming from? Most scanners will also scan-to-pdf w/OCR.

where can i get the plugins? also the images are coming off one of them i would like to use is a scaned textbook for one of my classes(my teacher did it) and he did something so we cant use the ctrl+f (find) and said if we could figure out how, he would let us. also some other pictures here and there it would be nice to have the program.

Just Google PDF and OCR. You will find something.

i did, i found mostly ones that you have to buy:( no tutorials for making one

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.