i have a dll "lt360lib.dll" and want to create a .lib file in order to link with it. when trying to create a .def file using impdef.exe that comes with c++ builder i get the following error

"error lt360lib.dll: unknown filetype"

by the way i enter the command using command prompt as follows
"E:\>bcf\bin\impdef lt360lib.def lt360lib.dll"

since impdef was located at e:\bcf\bin directory and i also placed the lt360lib.dll there.

where is the problem
Thanks for all

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Thanks for the reply my friend
when i try to use

"e:\>bcf\bin\impdef lt360lib.dll > lt360lib.def"

i get this

"Syntax: IMPDEF [options] destname[.def] srcname[.dll]
Options:
-h Emit hints
"
and another question where should the output be located, is it in the same directory where the impdef.exe is located ?
i.e
"e:\>bcf\bin\lt360lib.def"
thanks again

Thanks for the reply my friend
when i try to use

"e:\>bcf\bin\impdef lt360lib.dll > lt360lib.def"

i get this

"Syntax: IMPDEF [options] destname[.def] srcname[.dll]
Options:
-h Emit hints
"
and another question where should the output be located, is it in the same directory where the impdef.exe is located ?
i.e
"e:\>bcf\bin\lt360lib.def"
thanks again

I think dougy83 referred to another (somewhat simplified) impdef utility which you can find here
http://mirrors.zoreil.com/webclub.kcom.ne.jp/ma/colinp/gcc.html

So you might give that one a try, using the command:

impdef lt360lib.dll > lt360lib.def

yupee it worked i have a .def file but , i use a VC++ does it have a dlltool and where is it usually located
Thanks

I have it at the following locations:

C:\Dev-Cpp\bin\dlltool.exe
C:\Dev-Cpp\mingw32\bin\dlltool.exe

But that's because I use dev-c++ (mingw) not VC++. You should be able to download it from the net. Try googling it.

Thanks for the reply i think i found it is in the bin folder it called lib.exe thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.