Normally I hate asking for help but this is an exception. I have spent hours looking for a way to detect in Windows if the sound card or windows audio is outputting sound.

I am currently working on a project which is designed to save power. My sound card is currently linked to an amplifier but most of the time when the amplified is on it is not being used therefore power is wasted.

So my big idea was … have a servo controlled by the pc that has the ability to turn the amplifier on and off according to when the soundcard is outputting sound for more than about 2 seconds.

Buying the servo and writing the function to turn the amplifier on and off is already taken care of but I don’t know how to detect if the sound card or windows audio is outputting sound.

Help, a pointer to a function or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

You could just use something like Audacity to record it to .wav, then analyze it.

Also what about impedance ratings? How are you receiving it, with a mic or the toy speaker with a hot glued pin trick?: http://www.electronicpeasant.com/projects/springs/springs.html
What API/SDK are you using for sound DirectSound, Audiere, etc?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.