mike_2000_17

@markwiering: Just a hint, if you want to quote a previous poster, you can copy the words into your post, then highlight it and click on the "Quote" button in the editor. Or, you can just add a > before the quoted text (which is what the "Quote" button does).

I did. I hope I did it rightly.

I already gave Code::Blocks a try. Like I said in a previous comment; it is worthless. It does not compile any source code I have written, while Dev-C++ does. As long as Code::Blocks is worthless, I keep using Dev-C++.

I already gave Code::Blocks a try. Like I said in a previous comment; it is worthless. It does not compile any source code I have written, while Dev-C++ does. As long as Code::Blocks is worthless, I keep using Dev-C++.

It sounds like you tried really hard. :rolleyes: Anyway, if you're happy with Dev-C++ there's no point in switching. If you're so happy with Dev-C++ that you don't give alternatives a serious try, there's no point in switching. So don't switch; I can guarantee that nobody here will care what compiler you use unless you post non-portable code that depends on it.

p.s. On a side note, I prefer CodeLite over Code::Blocks as an IDE. My preferred IDE for more serious projects is Visual Studio 2010. But it's definitely a heavy piece of software as Mike said, so I'll use CodeLite when I need to load the IDE quickly and test something.

depeptikon

If you're so happy with Dev-C++ that you don't give alternatives a serious try, there's no point in switching.

I gave Code::Blocks a serious try. The result: it looks acceptable, but it compiles nothing. I tried more than 1 source codes.

Well, Code::Blocks, like Dev-C++ is an IDE that (usually) comes packaged with the MinGW compiler (based on GCC). If you're still willing to give it another serious try, do this:

First install the MinGW GCC compiler and the MSYS compiling environment (not an IDE).
Go to: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/
A little above the middle of the page, there wil be a link that says: Looking for the latest version? Download mingw-get-inst-xxxxxxxx.exe (xxxKb)
Get it.
Run it.
Go fo the latest repository.
Choose (at least) the C and C++ compiler options and also the MinGW Developer Toolkit with the MSYS base system.

I'm going to leave it at that for now, but I'm omitting some really awesome stuff. I'll write a full post on how to set up a super-nice setup. It just requires a LOT of work.

Tell Code::Blocks where to find MinGW and you'll be in business.

so it was 7 years ago did i late for study programming languange.
mind if i ask what is the best compiler for c++ programming languange ?

it depends on the operating system.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I would recommend Dev c

I would recommend Dev c

I would also recommend Dev-C++. That's the most user friendly compiler which compiles any valid source code.

commented: Agreed +14

Dev-C++ is not a compiler -- its only an IDE. MinGW is a compiler, VC++ is a compiler and an IDE as is Turbo C++.Which is best for MS-Windows? Microsoft VC++ of course because that is what Microsoft uses to develop MS-Windows. It's also best because of many other reasons, such as debugging, code completion, and project management to name just three.

Which is best for beginners to learn is quite another question. VC++ is difficult to learn because of its many features. I would say Code::Blocks with MinGW compiler is better for beginners. Dev-C++ might be a nice IDE but the version of MinGW that comes with it is not up-to-date, but for beginners that too many not be very relevant because most beginners won't be using the new features added by c++11 standards.

As of now, in terms of strict conformance, clang with its libc++ is ahead of the rest of the pack.
http://clang.llvm.org/

It is also the best compiler for people starting out to learn C++; clang's clear and expressive diagnostic messages are much easier for beginners to understand. (GCC 4.8 has narrowed the gap).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.