I know there is a lot of threads about books but i didn't find what i was looking for:)

so here goes. how is the book ^^ made? does it explain the commands? becaus im a bit fed up with tutorials that just say "write this and write that" when

int a;

declares an integer variable called 'a' i like to know that it is 'int' BECAUSE it is short for integer. it makes is easier to remember. okay i could have figured that one but you get the point right;-)
so is Accelerated c++ like that?

i read in another thread that books that sort of builds up a program trough the whole book are good, does anybody know a book like that?

altso i never really considered which compilers are better or worse, so does anyone know about code::blocks? im using that :)is it ok?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

altso i never really considered which compilers are better or worse, so does anyone know about code::blocks? im using that :)is it ok?

Code::Blocks is not a compiler, it's a cross-platform Integrated Development Environment (IDE):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment
See also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_integrated_development_environments#C.2FC.2B.2B
The Code::Blocks IDE supports lots of C++ compilers on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

Yes, it's OK, the Code::Blocks is a very good IDE ;)...

happy to hear it, it compiles though ;-) (i know i know MINGW. gnu etc.)
any coments about the bookie thing?

I have no comments. I think the only good book on C++ is "The C++ Programming Language" by B.Stroustrup ;)...

We have an entire sticky thread devoted to books which you will probably want to read.

Ah that would be the c++ books, thread, all right im sorry, i thought it was just the list, the first post, ill be sure to check it out. thanks both of you:D

I have no comments. I think the only good book on C++ is "The C++ Programming Language" by B.Stroustrup ;)...

Even Stroustrup himself wouldn't say that. There are many really excellent C++ books floating around (of which TCPPPL is just one). If the only book you've ever read on C++ is that one, then you're missing out on a wealth of information.

If the only book you've ever read on C++ is that one, then you're missing out on a wealth of information.

Is it an unsound supposition or a mild form of deliberate insult?
Have you ever seen my home library?

I have a C++ bible laying around somewhere. Probably around 2000/3000 pages which explain everything you'd ever need to know with great ease and simple examples. I still use it as a reference. If you need it, PM and i'll send the title and author.

Is it an unsound supposition or a mild form of deliberate insult?
Have you ever seen my home library?

No offense nor insults intended at all. I merely assumed from your post that you had not read some of the highly acclaimed books from the likes of Sutter, Meyers, Alexandrescu, etc. If i'm mistaken, then ignore my response - though I'd still be curious to know why you believe TCPPPL is the only good C++ book (Unless i've missed some hidden sarcasm or irony, in which case ignore this) - if you've read any books by the authors I've named here, you'd surely be aware of their standing among the C++ community.

All right, first ill say: Bench; i love your signature ;-)

then thank you everybody, i hope i did not waste your time to much (by overlooking the c++ book topic that allready existed)

Again, thanks :D

iDevoloper: i PM'ed you, put im posting here aswell, waiting for you response :-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.