hello everybody,
I am installing some (~10y old) research software which must have been using vb4, because when I started installing it failed because it was looking for vb40016.dll (got that) than oc25.dll (got that one too), and then PUSHHELP.VBX.
This is where I got stuck, there a lot of references online to pushhelp.vbx, but as an ERROR. Although it is listed as a small file of 25k, I don't seem to be able to find it anywhere.

I tried to install vb4 runtime libraries on this laptop (running XP media) but that pushhelp file is still not on my pc.

I tried to install vb3, hoping that maybe pushhelp would have been installed by that one already, but no luck. Currently emule-ing vb4, but it may never finish to download; also I wonder if this is really the way to go (since vb3 did not solve my problem. - OK pushhelp maybe a file which is only found in vb4, this is what I do not know).

Any Idea of what celse ould be my next step? bear in mind that there is a distint possibility that after I find pushhelp, the installer may look for another file.. this is why I installed the vb4 runtime libraries, but obviously that was not enough.

many thanks in advance,
berillio

p.s. Apologies to the moderators: could you please delete my ORIGINAL posting on a more general forum (post781405) - someone kindly pointed me to the right place...

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

.vbx files are typically related to modern day .ocx files. They are basically old-school custom controls. In order for the software to work, it will require this file. Chances are it was a file written by the person or company responsible for the software, and has sense gone the way of "old yeller".

well, the software requires it all right, it would not abort out of the installation otherwise.

so, you are saying that it is NOT a file which will be installed by a normal vb4 installation.

the point is, if you google it you find a reference to it
http://dllinfo.dll-free-download.org/detail/4201-PUSHHELP.vbx.html

does anybody know WHERE I can find it? maybe some of you guys has it on your pc already, hidden somewhere....

otherwise, I'll keep trawling the net, in case I trip into it..

thanks for coming back to me, at least I know that there is no point in installing vb4.....

berillio

Unfortunately it's not on mine:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Erebus>cd \

C:\>dir /a/s/b *.vbx
File Not Found

C:\>

I've also spent a lot of time looking for it, and no luck. I would consider, if you have VB3 or VB4 though, to consider writing the .vbx yourself, and just making it nothing more than a simple .vbx, that does nothing at all. Then it may load, and give you functionality of the program, but won't let you do anything that uses that control...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.