What did you find? What you found DOES work but only in VB4? Are you looking for something for VB.NET ?

I cannot figure out how you go about playing a Wav/MIDI file in a VB Program. I found one thing but it didn't work. This is a little old but the version is Visual Basic 4.0. It actually runs on Windows XP!!

try using the sndPlaySound API

bdiamond, any chance you could use sndPlaySound in a code snippet? I'm not sure how to employ it. thanks.

here's a module I used to play sounds. I don't remember how I did it with just the .wav fiile, but I THINK you can just put the name of the file in place of loadresdata. But in this example I have my .wav files saved in my resource file with id's of 101 and 102. If your app is always going to use the same set of sounds, I think this is the easiest way, and quicker. So to play the sound I just call MySounds(101) and it plays that file. Here's the snippet from a module:

Option Explicit
Public Declare Function sndPlaySound Lib _
"winmm.dll" Alias "sndPlaySoundA" _
(ByVal lpszSoundName As String, ByVal uFlags As Long) As Long
Public Const SND_ASYNC = &H1
Public Const SND_MEMORY = &H4
Public Sub MySounds(intSound As Integer)
'101 is drums sound used for startup
'102 is bop sound used for going from form to form
sndPlaySound StrConv(LoadResData(intSound, "custom"), vbUnicode) _
, SND_ASYNC Or SND_MEMORY
DoEvents
End Sub

bdiamond, any chance you could use sndPlaySound in a code snippet? I'm not sure how to employ it. thanks.

Hi I am extreamly new to all forms of programming... I need a little help figuring out where to put all of the dim statements... I tried the code but the evil gremlins in my computer are giving me error messages... :rolleyes:

I see this is your first post, So, Welcome To Daniweb, and I hope you enjoy the site. One favor I am going to have to ask you, right off the bat, is not to piggy or resurrect ancient threads. This thread has been dead for a year, and it's best (and proper) to start your own thread if you have a question. Thanx, and I hope to be able to be of assistance to you.

For VB4 ( Visual Basic 4 ) VB4.0 ( Visual Basic 4.0 )
To play a sound the easiest and quickest way:

THIS WORKS!

Shell ("sndrec32" & " /play /close " & Text1.Text)
Replace Text1.Text with whatever your using to play a sound.

This will open sound-recorder of built into windows and play the sound then close the player once it is done.

This works, this is what I use. There may be a switch to make it stay invisible.

It is very easy to play wav/midi file using the Microsoft Multimedia Control. You can add this component to your tool box by rightcliking the toolbox.

Comments
Another thread-bumping doofus with nothing but vague pattern matched pavlovian responses and a ass-full of spammy siglinks

how can i use the system resourse file like print a page, open a ms word file through a click on the command, or using font stored in the system?

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.