I have an application I originally wrote in VB2005. It ran fine on Win/XP and Vista 32bit. It would not run on Vista x64 nor would it provide an error message other than "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.....".

I dumped VB2005, got VB2008 Express and converted my application and enhanced it slightly. The updated version works fine on Win/XP, Vista 32 bit but will still not work on Vista x64. Both the development and vista x64 machines have NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.

The application is nothing special, it uses WME, WMP and a browser. Only has 6 buttons.

Any clue on why this simple application will not run on a x64? What can I do? Is my only option to install VB2008 Express on a 64 bit machine and create a separate 64 bit version?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Doug

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is my only option to install VB2008 Express on a 64 bit machine and create a separate 64 bit version?...

Yup. If you recompile it on a 64-bit vista platform, it should work.... other than that, good luck.

You might have to go into the properties of the app when installed on 64 bit and change to "run as 32 bit app" (or some such), look on the Compatibility tab. I run lots of 32 bit compiled apps on my 64-bit Vista machine. Most just work, others need a bit of tweaking. Try running it as administrator also.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.