Hi guys,

Not sure where to ask this so I figured I'll start with C#.

I would like to write a windows service that will allow some external device or authentication provider to log a user into windows.

For example, a finger print reader can log a user into windows via fingerprint instead of password.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of what I need and where I should start researching how to make such a thing?

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Windows service run an executable with an silly interface which doesn't allow a user to max, mini, or close it.
Executable will do its job for authentication.

I think you're talking about writing a custom gina dll to authenticate a user to the Windows environment, which is what a fingerprint or smarkcard type devices do. I've not written one myself, only have read into it a little. Here's a link to assist:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa380543(VS.85).aspx

-Nelis

If you want to do something before a user logs in you'll probably need to write a custom gina.dll file or use a hook into the existing microsoft gina.dll

However, you shouldn't write it in C#:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841927&Product=NETFrame

Hi guys,

Not sure where to ask this so I figured I'll start with C#.

I would like to write a windows service that will allow some external device or authentication provider to log a user into windows.

For example, a finger print reader can log a user into windows via fingerprint instead of password.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of what I need and where I should start researching how to make such a thing?

Thank you.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help, writing a custom Gina.dll is the way to go with XP. And for Vista it's completely different but much easier (by writing a CredentialProvider).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.