hey guys,
A little background information first. I work as technician to get myself through school. I wrote an unattended batch file that installs java, adobe reader, open office, and avg free from a flash drive (we do alot of reformatting). I also use a ethernet to USB adapter, so I do all the driver downloading & installing on that specific machine.

I'm going to the next step now, writing a java program that gives a pretty GUI and the choice of which programs to install and not install. I also want to install the drivers for the usb-ethernet adapter. I have the "Setup Information" and "System file" files. I just don't know how to auto-install them!

All help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You would of course have to use the provided installer, there is no easy way of bypassing it. You would have the option of spawning OS processes from Java using the ProcessBuilder class.

Hmm, okay so I have to use the installer?
Right now I just manually go to device manager and right-click and go 'update driver' on the hardware and then just maneuver to the folder with the driver files in it and install.
I figured there would be a way build right into windows of adding files like that.

> Hmm, okay so I have to use the installer?

AFAIK, yes.

IMO, using a language like VB or C# might make creation of such a tool easier.

It's possible to use:

Runtime.getRuntime().exex("rundll32 [dll],[entry point] [parameters]")

You can probably find which DLL to use if you search google some.

Okay,
I'm kind of confused. See the thing is the device did not come with any software other then the two driver files :P if I had a program i'd just use a mouse recording program :P

I'll see what I can do. If worst comes to worst...the techs and myself will just have to install the drivers manually :P

Okay, I found this page that shows the DLL to run to install drivers. So the java command would look something like:

Runtime.getRuntime().exec("rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall <reboot-mode> <INF-file>");

See the link above for the reboot mode (near the bottom).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.