Hello!!!

I read 3 c++ books on dos and what now? I think i want now to programming on windows but which language i can programming ?

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by firstPerson
Featured Replies
  • [QUOTE=NETProgrammer;1573380]Now when you have the basics of programming, you can go for .NET platform? or may be C++ in another case. I have seen a lot of C++ experts out there in DW like Salem, Ancient Dragon. Great guys to learn something from, Cheers![/QUOTE] No offense to them, but I … Read More

Read some books on programming (independent of a language). You'll need this if you ever want to be more than a glorified "hello world" programmer.

Read some books on C++, independent of the implementation. Learn the language, not an implementation.

Read some books on modern environments, not some DOS fossil.

To be fair, presumably by "dos" program he meant "console" program. So now he wants to start programming the windows api. "Programming Windows" by Petzold is a good start, but I believe it uses C and not C++.

Now when you have the basics of programming, you can go for .NET platform? or may be C++ in another case. I have seen a lot of C++ experts out there in DW like Salem, Ancient Dragon. Great guys to learn something from, Cheers!

start coding, just because you know theory doesn't mean your good at applying them. So start coding, gitty-up

Now when you have the basics of programming, you can go for .NET platform? or may be C++ in another case. I have seen a lot of C++ experts out there in DW like Salem, Ancient Dragon. Great guys to learn something from, Cheers!

No offense to them, but I would say there are like 9 experts in C++ in the whole world, by experts, one who knows the language inside and out, so I wouldn't say they were experts, but rather, knowledgable.

There might be more experts than you'd think. On another forum, there is an user who essentially knows the C++ standard by heart. And as far as I know, he is neither part of the C++ standard committee nor is he working for a C++ compiler vendor.
I would expect to find many more people such as him in these two groups.

Even so, one doesn't have to know everything about a subject to get away with calling oneself an expert these days - far from it, in fact (unfortunately).

No offense to them, but I would say there are like 9 experts in C++ in the whole world, by experts, one who knows the language inside and out, so I wouldn't say they were experts, but rather, knowledgable.

It's rather hard to define "C++ experts". Is only knowing the language inside and out enough to be called "C++ experts". Knowing how language work sometimes does not guarantee that they are proficient with the language or they are using the language efficiently.

It's rather hard to define "C++ experts". Is only knowing the language inside and out enough to be called "C++ experts". Knowing how language work sometimes does not guarantee that they are proficient with the language or they are using the language efficiently.

ex·pertA person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area.

Thus C++ expert roughly means to me, A person who has a comprehensive and authoritative and full knowledge about C++.

Note that I make no claim that they are expert programmer, but usually, if one is smart enough to master C++ then he is probably a good programmer at the very least.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.