Hey everyone,
I'm writing a program with a Tkinter GUI for my job and I was wondering whether there is a way to create an icon on my desktop to start it so I don't have to start Idle and run the program from that (computer un-savvy people will need to use the program so I'd like to keep it as simple as possible).

I'd really appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Not sure if I get you correctly. IDLE is an IDE (editor) and not the Python interpreter. On Windows simply create a shortcut of your .pyw file and drag it onto the desktop.

I agree. Go with Py2exe to create an executable file. There are plenty of examples on the interweb to help

If you simply double click on a .py or a .pyw icon Python will open and run the script in a command window, just as vega mentioned above...

Keep in mind however that if your program has bugs and crashes, the command window will close as soon as Python is done executing and you'll lose the traceback.

I think I'll give py2exe a try. Thanks everyone!

-George

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.