Hi there,
i m not a very advanced programmer so i have now come up against a brick wall. i need to use a VB code preferably on a command button, whereby the user enters a keyword into a text box, clicks the 'Search' command button, and then a procedure looks up the information from the tables contained in the relational access database and displays it in text boxes on a VB form.
I am using the ADODC VB function.

Any help will be appreciated i am DESPERATE!! thanx alot :-)

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by koolsid

I'm not sure how similar ADODC is to DAO, but this is what I've used in the command buttons click event

Dim Sql as String

Sql = "SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Str = '" & txtInputBox & "'"
Set Rs = Db.OpenRecordset (Sql)

Table, txtInputBox are my substitutions, I think you'll understand how you apply to your table and text box.

This it's just a matter of cycling through the records returned by Rs and populate whatever text, list or combobox or whatever.

I'm not sure how similar ADODC is to DAO, but this is what I've used in the command buttons click event

Dim Sql as String

Sql = "SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Str = '" & txtInputBox & "'"
 Set Rs = Db.OpenRecordset (Sql)

Table, txtInputBox are my substitutions, I think you'll understand how you apply to your table and text box.

This it's just a matter of cycling through the records returned by Rs and populate whatever text, list or combobox or whatever.

Hi, I just tried using this code, but got a whole load of run-time errors, doesn't seem to work with ADODC
do you have anything else?

doesn't seem to work with ADODC
do you have anything else?

Sorry, 90% of my work is done in assembly and the other in C++. DAO is the only thing I've ever used with VB

This is a very simple question, and I don't know y everyone tries to teach lostprophet in his manner.
You just right this code and assume that ur database name is "test.mdb".And u have table named "t1" having 2 fields "invoice" & "Name"

Private Sub Command1_Click()
Adodc1.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & App.Path & "\test.mdb;Persist Security Info=False"
    Adodc1.CommandType = adCmdText
    Adodc1.RecordSource = "select name from t1 where invoice like '" & Textbox1.Text & "'"
    Adodc1.Refresh
If Adodc1.Recordset.RecordCount > 0 Then
   Textbox1.Text=Adodc1.Recordset.Fields(0)
End if 
End Sub

My suggestion is to use DAO 3.6 Library..it's easier to use than ADO..
Your solution would be like:
------------------------------------------------------
Private Sub CmdSearch_Click()
Dim ws as Dao.Workspaces
Dim db as Dao.database
Dim rs As RecordSet
Dim mysql As string
Dim search as String

On Error Resume Next
set ws = dbengine.workspaces
set db = ws(0).openDatabase(app.path & "\test.mdb".False.False)

search = Inputbox("Enter something to search: ")
mysql = "SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE field_u_want like '*" & search & "*'"
Set rs = db.OpenRecordSet(mysql)
If rs.recordcount = 0 Then Msgbox("No Results.")

rs.Close
db.Close
ws(0).Close

Set rs = Nothing
Set ws = Nothing
Set db = Nothing

If err.Number <> 0 then Msgbox err.description
End Sub
------------------------------------------------------
I hope this will help you...

@KSS: That thread is 5 years old :)

The original poster must have already got the answer by now...

Also I will never recommend DAO. ADO is much faster ;)

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.