Hai,
We are working in a project which handles lots of data.
How many tables can we have in sql server 2000 so that it can be managed efficiently.Is there any rule for separating the tables.
We store information like candidate details,interview process....
Thanking in advance

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I dnt knw about exact limit but u can craete upto 50,000 tables...& i think so its more than enough...........What u mean by separating tables???? U mean primary table & foreign key table?

Thank you so much.The fields i need in my database are

name,permanent and temprory address,phone-cell and landline,state of origin,nationality,experience(post,responsibility,salary,reason fo leaving),name and working status of family members,hobbies,qualification details,Pf,housing allowance.

should i create table for these fields based on normalisation.can you sugest a way to form sql tables with these fields for easy retrival.

sonia sardana>I dnt knw about exact limit but u can craete upto 50,000 tables...& i think so its more than enough...........What u mean by separating tables???? U mean primary table & foreign key table?

sweetsasthi>We are working in a project which handles lots of data.
How many tables can we have in sql server 2000 so that it can be managed efficiently.

You have to design tables as per project-definition.

sweetsasthi>Is there any rule for separating the tables.

Here is a link for http://www.datamodel.org/NormalizationRules.html
and
http://databases.about.com/od/specificproducts/a/normalization.htm

Thank you.Now I understood more about normalization.

u can hav as many tables as u want.
regarding ur 2nd question.
each table should be used to store specific information.
so u create separate tables for the various type of info u want.

babbu > u can hav as many tables as u want.
When you deal with computers you deal with restricted resources. See Maximum Capacity Specifications for SQL Server 2000. It says:

Database objects include all tables, views, stored procedures, extended stored procedures, triggers, rules, defaults, and constraints. The sum of the number of all these objects in a database cannot exceed 2,147,483,647

which is not "as many as you want" ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.