I am my wits end. I have been toying with this code for class and I am stuck. Every time I run the program it shows what I placed within the list box, however that is it. been on this for nearly two days and I need a fresh set of eyes to guide me into the right direction. Please help.

Imports System.IO 'Allows me to  not have to put .IO to specify where my class is located
Public Class Form1

'Victor Campudoni
'Unit 5 Assignment
'7/11/09

Private Sub btnDisplayStocks_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnDisplayStocks.Click

Dim fmtStr2 As String = "{0, -16} {1, -10}{2, -14}{3, -14}{4, -11}" ' formats output by zones for my arrays and their records.

Dim str() As String = IO.File.ReadAllLines("csvSTOCKS.TXT") 'ReadAllLines taught to me by Kenneth Haugland from MSDN it reads 
    ' every line a long with its records into the array dividing each line with records into a different element.

InitListView() 'sub component which is called.

Dim count As Integer ' declared the variable count.
    count = str.GetUpperBound(0) 'gets my upper bound then assigns it to count so I can use for counter.

For i As Integer = 0 To count 'counts from 0 to whatever value count gives then assigns this to i.
        ' For i As Integer = 0 To str.Count - 1 
        ' another way using the .Count with this way you would not need to declare count, or
        ' use getupperbound as shown above. Shown to me by Kenneth Haugland from MSDN.
        Dim csvData = (str(i).Split(CChar(","))) 'as the For...next loops executes the variable i changes, in this case from 0-4 these
        'are placed in str(i) giving us our different elements str(0), str(1), str(2), str(3), str(4). which in the next line are then
        'outputted to line1 which is put into the elements of the array.
        Dim line1 As String = (String.Format(fmtStr2, csvData(0), csvData(1), csvData(2), csvData(3), csvData(4)))
        lstOutput.Items.Add(line1) 'each time this runs it adds a line of with its records to the listbox.

Next
End Sub

Private Sub InitListView()
    lstOutput.Items.Clear()
    Dim fmtStr1 As String = "{0, -16}{1, -12} {2, -10:D} {3, -12}  {4, -11}" 'format for my top line of labels.
    Dim fmtStr As String = "{0, -10}   {1, 11} {2, 10:D}   {3, 12}   {4, 11}" 'format for my second line of labels
    lstOutput.Items.Add("_______________________________________________________________") 'creates a way to underline or create lines in my listbox.
    lstOutput.Items.Add("")
    lstOutput.Items.Add(String.Format(fmtStr1, "", "Number", "Date", "Purchase", "Current")) 'my top labels being formatted by zone.
    lstOutput.Items.Add(String.Format(fmtStr, "Stock", "of Shares", "Purchased", "Price/Share", "Price/Share")) 'my second line of labels being formatted.
    lstOutput.Items.Add("_______________________________________________________________")
    lstOutput.Items.Add("")
End Sub

Private Sub btnAddStock_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAddStock.Click 'event procedure that enables me to add a stock.

Dim message As String 'declared a variable.

If (TxtStock.Text <> "") And (txtPrice.Text <> "") And (txtNumberShares.Text <> "") And _
    (txtDatePurchase.Text <> "") And (TxtPurchasePrice.Text <> "") Then 'if all conditions met it it executes everything in its statement area.
        'tihs allows the program to make sure the textboxes have the correct information in them if it does
        'not have the correct information the else is executed.
        Dim sw As StreamWriter = File.AppendText("csvSTOCKS.TXT") 'uses AppendText to add data.

Dim stock As String = TxtStock.Text 'variables declared and initialized using the textboxes.
        Dim price As String = TxtPurchasePrice.Text
        Dim numberOfShares As String = txtNumberShares.Text
        Dim datePurchased As String = txtDatePurchase.Text
        Dim purchasePrice As String = TxtPurchasePrice.Text
        Dim lineOfText As String

lineOfText = (stock & "," & numberOfShares & "," & datePurchased & "," & price & _
                      "," & purchasePrice)
        'lineOfText is used to form Comma separated values(CSV) in a string.
        sw.WriteLine(lineOfText) 'because of the AppendText used earlier that we initialized "sw" it allows
        'us to add information to the file when we use sw.WriteLine.

sw.Close() 'closes are file 
        TxtStock.Clear() 'clears our texboxes.
        TxtPurchasePrice.Clear()
        txtNumberShares.Clear()
        txtDatePurchase.Clear()
        TxtPurchasePrice.Clear()
        TxtStock.Focus()

MessageBox.Show("Stock, Price, Number of Shares, Date of Purchase, and Purchase Price have been added to the file.")
        'displays a message when done.
    Else 'else is executed when the condition is not met and it gives a message.
        message = "You must enter all of the information into the required fields."
        MessageBox.Show(message, "Information Incomplete") 'uses the MessageBox method to do this.

End If

End Sub

Private Sub btnUpdateStock_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles BtnUpdateStock.Click
    'Update stocks on the file, and has a sub statement call within.
    Dim message As String
    If TxtStock.Text <> "" Then 'if the textbox has anything other than a space it starts the statements.

If File.Exists("csvSTOCKS.TXT") Then 'checks to see if teh file exist.
            ChangeStockInfo() 'sub procedure call statement.
        Else 'if the file does not exist it goes to the else and gives messages.
            message = "Either no file has yet been created or "
            message = message & "the file is not where expected."
            MessageBox.Show(message, "File Not Found.")
        End If
    Else ' with the first IF this is the else that tells you stock textbox is empty.
        MessageBox.Show("You must enter a stock.", "Information is imcomplete")
    End If
    TxtStock.Focus() 'puts the cursor in the stock textbox.
End Sub

Sub ChangeStockInfo() 'sub procedure for changing stocks info.

Dim fmtStr2 As String = "{0, -16} {1, -10}{2, -14}{3, -14}{4, -11}" 'format by zones

Dim str() As String = IO.File.ReadAllLines("csvSTOCKS.TXT") 'ReadAllLines into the str() array.

For i As Integer = 0 To str.Count - 1 'another way to get our upperbound For...Next loop used here to show two different
        ' ways to do the same thing.  .Count will count the number of elements in str() array.
        'However since it adds the actual number "5" instead of the upper subscript (4) we must subtract 1 so it
        'counts 0-4,  instead of 0-5.
        Dim csvData = (str(i).Split(CChar(","))) 'see previous comments.
        Dim line1 As String = (String.Format(fmtStr2, csvData(0), csvData(1), csvData(2), csvData(3), csvData(4)))

If (TxtStock.Text = csvData(0)) Then 'created a condition if textbox equals the element then start statements.
            MySub()
        End If

Dim sw As StreamWriter = File.AppendText("TEMP.TXT") 'appends the information back to the file
        sw.WriteLine((csvData(0) & "," & csvData(1) & "," & csvData(2) & "," & csvData(3) & _
        "," & csvData(4))) 'puts the information back in as one line with all 5 records.
        sw.Close()

Next
End Sub

Sub MySub()
    Dim stock As String = "" 'variables
    Dim price As String = ""
    Dim numberOfShares As String = ""
    Dim datePurchased As String = ""
    Dim purchasePrice As String = ""
    Dim lineOfText As String = ""

stock = TxtStock.Text 'initialize variables to the textboxes
    numberOfShares = txtNumberShares.Text
    datePurchased = TxtPurchasePrice.Text
    purchasePrice = TxtPurchasePrice.Text
    price = TxtPurchasePrice.Text

Dim sw As StreamWriter = File.AppendText("TEMP.TXT") 'AppendText is used so we can add text, it also creates a file.

lineOfText = stock & "," & numberOfShares & "," & datePurchased & "," & purchasePrice & _
    "," & price 'use variables here so I can get my input from the textboxes instead of from the
    'elements of the array.
    sw.WriteLine(lineOfText) 'writes whats in lineOfText to the text file.

sw.Close()

End Sub

Private Sub btnQuit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnQuit.Click
    TxtPurchasePrice.Clear()
    TxtNumberShares.Clear()
    TxtDatePurchase.Clear()
    TxtPurchasePrice.Clear()
    lstOutput.Items.Clear()
End Sub
End Class

Again maybe you can see what I cannot. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Never Mind I figured it out. Final code

Imports System.IO 'Allows me to  not have to put .IO to specify where my class is located
Public Class Stocks

Structure Stock
    Dim sw As StreamWriter
    Dim name As String
    Dim numshares As Integer
    Dim entered As String
    Dim PP As Double
    Dim CP As Double
End Structure

Private Sub btnDisplayStocks_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles BtnDisplayStock.Click

Dim fmtStr2 As String = "{0, -16} {1, -10}{2, -14}{3, -14}{4, -11}" ' formats output by zones for my arrays and their records.

Dim str() As String = IO.File.ReadAllLines("csvSTOCKS.TXT") 'ReadAllLines taught to me by Kenneth Haugland from MSDN it reads 
    ' every line a long with its records into the array dividing each line with records into a different element.

InitListView() 'sub component which is called.

Dim count As Integer ' declared the variable count.
    count = str.GetUpperBound(0) 'gets my upper bound then assigns it to count so I can use for counter.

For i As Integer = 0 To count 'counts from 0 to whatever value count gives then assigns this to i.
        ' For i As Integer = 0 To str.Count - 1 
        ' another way using the .Count with this way you would not need to declare count, or
        ' use getupperbound as shown above. Shown to me by Kenneth Haugland from MSDN.
        Dim csvData = (str(i).Split(CChar(","))) 'as the For...next loops executes the variable i changes, in this case from 0-4 these
        'are placed in str(i) giving us our different elements str(0), str(1), str(2), str(3), str(4). which in the next line are then
        'outputted to line1 which is put into the elements of the array.
        lstOutput.Items.Add(line1) 'each time this runs it adds a line of with its records to the listbox.

Next
End Sub

Private Sub InitListView()
    lstOutput.Items.Clear()
    Dim fmtStr1 As String = "{0, -16}{1, -12} {2, -10:D} {3, -12}  {4, -11}" 'format for my top line of labels.
    Dim fmtStr As String = "{0, -10}   {1, 11} {2, 10:D}   {3, 12}   {4, 11}" 'format for my second line of labels
    lstOutput.Items.Add("_______________________________________________________________") 'creates a way to underline or create lines in my listbox.
    lstOutput.Items.Add("")
    lstOutput.Items.Add(String.Format(fmtStr1, "", "Number", "Date", "Purchase", "Current")) 'my top labels being formatted by zone.
    lstOutput.Items.Add(String.Format(fmtStr, "Stock", "of Shares", "Purchased", "Price/Share", "Price/Share")) 'my second line of labels being formatted.
    lstOutput.Items.Add("_______________________________________________________________")
    lstOutput.Items.Add("")
End Sub

Private Sub btnAddStock_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles BtnAddstock.Click 'event procedure that enables me to add a stock.

Dim message As String 'declared a variable.

If (TxtStock.Text <> "") And (TxtPrice.Text <> "") And (TxtNumberShares.Text <> "") And _
    (TxtDatePurchase.Text <> "") And (TxtPurchasePrice.Text <> "") Then 'if all conditions met it it executes everything in its statement area.
        'tihs allows the program to make sure the textboxes have the correct information in them if it does
        'not have the correct information the else is executed.
        Dim sw As StreamWriter = File.AppendText("csvSTOCKS.TXT") 'uses AppendText to add data.

Dim stock As String = TxtStock.Text 'variables declared and initialized using the textboxes.
        Dim price As String = TxtPrice.Text
        Dim numberOfShares As String = TxtNumberShares.Text
        Dim datePurchased As String = TxtDatePurchase.Text
        Dim purchasePrice As String = TxtPurchasePrice.Text
        Dim lineOfText As String

lineOfText = (stock & "," & numberOfShares & "," & datePurchased & "," & price & _
                      "," & purchasePrice)
        'lineOfText is used to form Comma separated values(CSV) in a string.
        sw.WriteLine(lineOfText) 'because of the AppendText used earlier that we initialized "sw" it allows
        'us to add information to the file when we use sw.WriteLine.

sw.Close() 'closes are file 
        TxtPrice.Clear()
        TxtNumberShares.Clear()
        TxtDatePurchase.Clear()
        TxtPurchasePrice.Clear()
        TxtStock.Focus()

MessageBox.Show("Stock, Price, Number of Shares, Date of Purchase, and Purchase Price have been added to the file.")
        'displays a message when done.
    Else 'else is executed when the condition is not met and it gives a message.
        message = "You must enter all of the information into the required fields."
        MessageBox.Show(message, "Information Incomplete") 'uses the MessageBox method to do this.

End If

End Sub

Private Sub btnUpdateStock_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnUpdateStock.Click
    'Update stocks on the file, and has a sub statement call within.
    Dim message As String
    If txtStock.Text <> "" Then 'if the textbox has anything other than a space it starts the statements.

If File.Exists("csvSTOCKS.TXT") Then 'checks to see if teh file exist.
            ChangeStockInfo() 'sub procedure call statement.
        Else 'if the file does not exist it goes to the else and gives messages.
            message = "Either no file has yet been created or "
            message = message & "the file is not where expected."
            MessageBox.Show(message, "File Not Found.")
            File.Delete("csvSTOCKS.TXT") 'deletes the file
            File.Move("TEMP.TXT", "csvSTOCKS.TXT") 'I think of this as renaming temp to csvStocks
            MessageBox.Show("Stock File has been changed.") 'message that 
        End If
    Else ' with the first IF this is the else that tells you stock textbox is empty.
        MessageBox.Show("You must enter a stock.", "Information is imcomplete")
    End If
    txtStock.Focus() 'puts the cursor in the stock textbox.
End Sub

Sub ChangeStockInfo() 'sub procedure for changing stocks info.

Dim fmtStr2 As String = "{0, -16} {1, -10}{2, -14}{3, -14}{4, -11}" 'format by zones

Dim str() As String = IO.File.ReadAllLines("csvSTOCKS.TXT") 'ReadAllLines into the str() array.

For i As Integer = 0 To str.Count - 1 'another way to get our upperbound For...Next loop used here to show two different
        ' ways to do the same thing.  .Count will count the number of elements in str() array.
        'However since it adds the actual number "5" instead of the upper subscript (4) we must subtract 1 so it
        'counts 0-4,  instead of 0-5.
        Dim csvData = (str(i).Split(CChar(","))) 'see previous comments.

If (txtStock.Text = csvData(0)) Then 'created a condition if textbox equals the element then start statements.

Dim stock As String = "" 'variables
            Dim price As String = ""
            Dim numberOfShares As String = ""
            Dim datePurchased As String = ""
            Dim purchasePrice As String = ""
            Dim lineOfText As String = ""

stock = txtStock.Text 'initialize variables to the textboxes
            numberOfShares = txtNumberShares.Text
            datePurchased = txtPurchasePrice.Text
            purchasePrice = txtPurchasePrice.Text
            price = txtPrice.Text

lineOfText = stock & "," & numberOfShares & "," & datePurchased & "," & purchasePrice & _
            "," & price

str(i) = lineOfText

End If

Dim sw As StreamWriter = File.AppendText("TEMP.TXT") 'appends the information back to the file
        ' For Each item As String In str

sw.WriteLine(str(i))
        sw.Close()

Next
End Sub

Private Sub BtnQuit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles BtnQuit.Click
    TxtPrice.Clear()
    TxtNumberShares.Clear()
    TxtDatePurchase.Clear()
    TxtPurchasePrice.Clear()
    lstOutput.Items.Clear()
End Sub

Private Sub BtnShowProfitLoss_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles BtnShowProfitLoss.Click
    Dim sr As StreamReader = File.OpenText("csvSTOCKS.TXT")
    lstOutput.Items.Clear()
    Dim line(4) As String
    Dim lines(20) As Stock
    Dim Cost, PL, CP As New Integer
    Cost = CInt(CDbl(TxtNumberShares.Text) * CDbl(TxtPurchasePrice.Text))
    CP = CInt((CDbl(TxtPrice.Text) * CDbl(TxtNumberShares.Text) - Cost))
    PL = CInt(CDbl(TxtPrice.Text) - Cost)
    Dim fmtstr As String = "{0,-14}  {1,16}  {2,14}  {3,14}"
    lstOutput.Items.Add(String.Format(fmtstr, "", "", "Current", "Profit"))
    lstOutput.Items.Add(String.Format(fmtstr, "Stock", "Cost", "Value", "(or Loss)"))
    lstOutput.Items.Add(String.Format(fmtstr, "==============", "================", "==============", "=============="))
    For i As Integer = 0 To 20
        Dim csvData = (Str(i).Split(CChar(","))) 'see previous comments.

lines(i).name = TxtStock.Text
        lines(i).numshares = CInt(TxtNumberShares.Text)
        lines(i).entered = line(2)
        lines(i).PP = CDbl(TxtPurchasePrice.Text)
        lines(i).CP = CDbl(TxtPrice.Text)
        lstOutput.Items.Add(String.Format(fmtstr, lines(i).name, Cost, CP, PL))
    Next
End Sub

End Class

Victor C,
It's difficult to read your program. Use bb code tags to post source code. Read How to use code tags?

[code=vb.net] ...statements...

[/code]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.