Hi Guys:

I am making my own program but lost the updated code from my latest version. I just have the executable.

I try to use reflector to recoup it, but unfortunatelly I do not know why it doesnt create the code/design/resources normal files to be used.

Can anyone help me?

BTW: I am a VB.NET rookie and most of the methods I implemented on my prog where from modified samples from the net. So, I will not remember the modifications I made, where I Found the sample codes, etc. That's why my last resource is to use reflector.

I can see the code on the exported files... But its a puzzle for me without the graphic interface. (I guess its embedded somewhere)

Thanks for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

When you compile the assembly it merges the designer and resource files as a single definition of the class. They are separated in Visual Studio for readability. As far as I know you will have to go about this manually

When you compile the assembly it merges the designer and resource files as a single definition of the class. They are separated in Visual Studio for readability. As far as I know you will have to go about this manually

Thanks!... But how I know where one ends and where the other code starts? Does it have some kind of comment?

Regards.

You don't. You have to take a look at it -- if it is declaring a Button then it goes in the designer file, if it is a string named _strSomething then it probably goes in your code file.

You don't. You have to take a look at it -- if it is declaring a Button then it goes in the designer file, if it is a string named _strSomething then it probably goes in your code file.

Thanks. I'll take a look and then reply if I encounter an issue. Since I have an earlier version of my code, I might be able to just look where it starts and where it ends.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

Please mark this thread as solved if your question has been answered and good luck!

You're welcome.

Please mark this thread as solved if your question has been answered and good luck!

Just to be clear.....
You say basically that on the .vb generated files, the content is fused one below the other right? (code/designer/resources)... and I assume those are the files located on the generated folder/projectname/*.vb

What is then contained on the extra files in the root of the generated folder named like projectname.formname.resources?

You can embed resources like a graphic in the form, or you can embed the resources in the assembly. That will contain your embedded resources. I think you can also use resource thief or reshacker to get the resources out ... but it isn't code related.

Excellent information. Thanks for all your help. :icon_cheesygrin:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.