Private Sub InsertDatabase()
Dim rowaffected As Integer
Dim SqlInsert As String
Dim fname As String
Dim mname As String
Dim lname As String

Dim ConnPPC As New System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection("Data Source =" + (System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetName().CodeBase) + "\test.sdf;"))
ConnPPC.Open()

fname = Me.txtfname.Text
mname = Me.txtmname.Text
lname = Me.txtlname.Text
Dim cmd As SqlCeCommand = ConnPPC.CreateCommand

Try
SqlInsert = "INSERT INTO test1(firstname,middlename,lastname) VALUES('" & fname & "','" & mname & "','" & lname & "')"

cmd.CommandText = SqlInsert
cmd.Connection = ConnPPC
rowaffected = cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()

If rowaffected = 1 Then
MsgBox("Client added succefully")
Else
MsgBox("Cannot add new client")
End If

ConnPPC.Close()
Catch ex As Exception
MsgBox("Error :" & ex.ToString)
End Try
End Sub

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by __avd

i have already opened a daabase connection , and so i move it just before the ExecuteNonQuery() but it did not work

I have doubt about the path passed to the SqlCeConnection object.

Display the value of the connection details in a message box. Check whether the file name with path displayed in the messagebox is correct.

You can dislay that information from the following code

MessageBox.Show("Data Source =" + (System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetName().CodeBase) + "\test.sdf;")

C:\Documents and Settings\joe.elhajj\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\final test\final test\test.sdf

this is the full path of the database so how can i put it correctly in the connection ?

i have tried to put the full path but an error occurs:
Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 0.

the connection was:
ConnPPC As New System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection("C:\Documents and Settings\joe.elhajj\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\final test\final test\test.sdf")

This file must be in your PDA or emulator. So copy the .sdf , for example, to the My Documents folder in the PDA or emulator.

And then try this

Dim ConnPPC As New System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection("Data Source =" + @"\My Documents\test.sdf;")

Dim ConnPPC As New System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection("Data Source =C:\Documents and Settings\joe.elhajj\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\final test\final test\test.sdf;")

why the connection would not open?

i did not understand what did u mean,i did not install any emulator it is already existing in the .net so can you please explain to me more?

I thought you are working smart device project. Just leave it.

Dim ConnPPC As New System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection("Data Source =C:\Practice\test.sdf")

Here 'Practice' is name of the folder where i keep the SDF file. It is working for me.

Did you get any error?

an error occurrs saying the path is not valid,check the directory for the database

Dim ConnPPC As New System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection("Data Source =C:\final test\test.sdf")

Where are you running your application. In local or inside a mobile device or emulator?

Inside mobile device or emulator, You can mention data source like
"Data Source =\My Documents\test.sdf". You cannot specify drive name like 'C:\' or 'D:\'.

If you are running your application in local( your PC) and your project is not smart device project, then check whether the test.sdf exists in the folder 'C:\final test'.

i am runing my program on local and the full path of the file is

C:\Documents and Settings\joe.elhajj\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\final test\final test

i tried to put it in the connection data source but the same error occurs

i am runing my program on local and the full path of the file is

C:\Documents and Settings\joe.elhajj\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\final test\final test

i tried to put it in the connection data source but the same error occurs

Just for testing purpose,

Place your sdf file in C:\test.sdf and then change your connection details as

Dim ConnPPC As New System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection("Data Source=C:\test.sdf")

Now check whether it is working.

i placed the file in C: and i tested it
the error is :The path is not valid.check the directory for database [path = "C:\test.sdf"]

please can anyone help me?i don't really know what is happening

Generally, device applications are deployed at \program files\projectname_folder (you may change this settings - click on project name & set property Output File Folder in property windows)
So your database (deployed) path should be,

Dim cn As New SqlCeConnection("Data Source=\Program Files\SmartDeviceProject2\AppDatabase1.sdf")
'SmartDeviceProject2 is a name of project

the output file in my project says %CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\final_test
so how my connection shoud be written and how to get access to this folder?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.