Could anyone recommend some higher-level c++ programming classes that are either online, or local in Austin, TX, that a 16 year old can enroll in?

All my school offers is basic java, and ive tried the University of Phoenix online, but 16 is below their enrollment age.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Local colleges usually have classes you can enroll in. You can usually even use it as credit, if you go to college, latter on.

Truthfully, you can learn C languages at home easy enough.

Nobody here knows what you mean by higher-level C++ programming classes. If you have a pretty good grasp of basic C++ topics such as pointers, arrays, loops, functions, classes, inheritance, file handling, etc, and you feel reasonable comfortable with STL classes, then you have the luxury of deciding whether want you want to tackle next. Options would include learning Windows API or some other, related language to create Windows (or similar) programs or potentially learning a graphics API like OpenGL or DirectX or Allegro or whatever to make graphics designs or games etc. Even things like object modeling, game engine design, etc become possible. Once you've chosen a possible topic to explore then Google for tutorials. Most of the time you can find references to tutorials or books that can help you get further into a topic. If you aren't familiar and comforatable with most of the things I mentioned first, then you will likely find yourself over your head by jumping into one of the other possibilities so look at various online tutorials to brush up on those topics if needed. Trying to answer questions that pop up here can give you a pretty good idea what your level of comfort is. If you can explain some topic in writing well enough that someone else understands what they are doing wrong and why, then you probably have a pretty good handle on that topic.

I mean things like winsocks, low level windows programming and developing drivers, inline asm, etc.

Anything besides "this is a for loop, this is a struct" etc for an entire semester :d

None of that has to do with C++. It can be wrapped in C++.

There are a mutlitude of books on the subjects. Pick one and one only, then learn. When understood move on.

Think of the aspects of programming as a dependency tree. You need to understand one concept to move on to the next. You need basic C to understand sockets. You need some assembly to understand drivers. You need full working knowledge of C to understand C++. etc. You can get by on C but these days you need C++ to work with graphics libraries. Or physics libraries, etc.

And I almost forgot. MATH MATH MATH!

did you know there are four x's and four y's in y=mx+b.

or y=mx+c if from England.

did you know there are four x's and four y's in y=mx+b.

Huh? What does that even mean?

As I indicated, MATH MATH MATH!

y = mx + b

It should be understood as the y-intercept taught in school. If you understand math then should be no problem to unfold it to find the four x's and four y's.

commented: Dumbass. +0
commented: Josh proving his grass hopper IQ, compensation +22

You dumbass, that doesn't even make any sense.

I'm much more versed in the language of mathematics than you.. and saying something like the equation "y=m*x + b" has four x's and four y's doesn't make any sense.

y-intercept? What?
y = mx + b is a linear function. What are these 'four ys' and 'four xs'?

Well the original posting was from shea279

As requested I will explain it the y-intercept. It is a linear function used to graph a straight line. Used in game develoment all the time!

y = mx + b
y - b = mx
y2 - y1 = m ( x2 - x1)
y2 - y1 = (y4-y3) / (x4-x3) ( x2 - x1 )

As I said four x's and four y's.

Learn math. Doing simple incremental loops in programming is only a toe barely in the door of programming. The y-intersept is one of the simpler programming functions.

Here's one a little harder. A vector {0.0001, -0.00023, 0.00001 }
Now normalize the vector using single-precision floating-point.!

Well the original posting was from shea279

As requested I will explain it the y-intercept. It is a linear function used to graph a straight line. Used in game develoment all the time!

Like you would know? You're obviously a 12-year old.

y = mx + b
y - b = mx
y2 - y1 = m ( x2 - x1)
y2 - y1 = (y4-y3) / (x4-x3) ( x2 - x1 )

As I said four x's and four y's.

Learn math. Doing simple incremental loops in programming is only a toe barely in the door of programming. The y-intersept is one of the simpler programming functions.

HAAHHAAHAHAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !!

You dipshit. First off, what you did right there was a variable substitution of y = y2-y1. and x = x2-x1... Then you substituted m for (y4-y3) / (x4-x3).

.... The slope-intercept form doesn't even use the additional y3,y4,x3,x4 in its definition, but okay..

.. Anyway, this is like 7th grade math. Congrats.

[edit] In fact, I think you're mixing forms of the equation... You should definitely read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_equation#Y-axis_formula

This is going downhill.

commented: Thank you. +6
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.