hie i want the user to inset the email id in correct format. so i thought of using a masked text box. there are some predefined masks but none for email.
plz help

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by hkb261

If it were me, since masked txt boxes are mainly used for numbers and symbols, I'd use regex and do a validation on it after the user hits the submit button. Here's a regex you can use, it's kind of scary long but it works really well, I've never had it fail.

([a-zA-Z0-9_\-\.]+)@((\[[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.)|(([a-zA-Z0-9\-]+\.)+))([a-zA-Z]{2,4}|[0-9]{1,3})

If a match against that regex string returns no values, then you know they did not enter the email correctly and could give the user an error.

some explanation will be helpful.
how do insert it in the code.
thnx in advance

some explanation will be helpful.
how do insert it in the code.
thnx in advance

I would do the following:

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        If System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.IsMatch("([a-zA-Z0-9_\-\.]+)@((\[[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.)|(([a-zA-Z0-9\-]+\.)+))([a-zA-Z]{2,4}|[0-9]{1,3})", Me.TextBox1.Text) Then
            MsgBox("Match Found")
        Else
            MsgBox("Match Not Found")
        End If
    End Sub
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.