Hi

I am in my final year of a Software Engineering degree and will be shortly starting my final year project. However I have not yet decided on a title for my project.

I have recently been looking at neural networks and find the topic very interesting. However as I am a software engineering student, rather than a computer science student, i have not covered any topics refering to neural networks and so my knowledge of this is non existant.

I was thinking of maybe creating sofware in java to predict something, such as financial stocks.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or could guide me.

Any help apprecaited
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You might consider trying a Neural Network Framework. If you are using Java, Encog is a good choice. I am one of the contributors to it. It is an open source project. You can find more information about Encog here:

http://www.heatonresearch.com/encog

In the Encog examples there is an example of how to apply Encog to market prediction. There are helper classes that will download current stock prices from YahooFinance.

For a quick intro into how to use a neural network to predict, this YouTube video does a good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF-WdMFTuJc

Good luck, if you have any questions let me know. I have done a fair amount with this sort of programming.

Im actually doing neural networks at the moment (teaching myself). If you want to predict financial stocks then neural networks are perfect. They are brilliant at finding trends and patterns in things and could be utilised in your idea.

If you want to do some neural network stuff on the side (not as your final project) then you can join my project, but im looking for serious developer's as I think its a great idea!

Other idea's in terms of prediction could be football (soccer) scores, or other sport scores or results, again this would probably be used with neural networks.

If you want to learn neural networks then I suggest the book that I am using, which can be found on heatonresearch.com. It's a great book, and even me (a 14 year old), can get to grips with neural networks.

Good Luck,

jakx12.

Hi,

Have you completed your project? If yes, kindly get back to me. Thanx, it's urgent !

Im actually doing neural networks at the moment (teaching myself). If you want to predict financial stocks then neural networks are perfect. They are brilliant at finding trends and patterns in things and could be utilised in your idea.

If you want to do some neural network stuff on the side (not as your final project) then you can join my project, but im looking for serious developer's as I think its a great idea!

Other idea's in terms of prediction could be football (soccer) scores, or other sport scores or results, again this would probably be used with neural networks.

If you want to learn neural networks then I suggest the book that I am using, which can be found on heatonresearch.com. It's a great book, and even me (a 14 year old), can get to grips with neural networks.

Good Luck,

jakx12.

Hi,

Have you completed your project? If yes, kindly get back to me. Thanx, it's urgent !

Even if OP get back to you there is following rule We only give homework help to those who show effort, which mean that if he gave you his project that he would be doing wrong thing as you obviously spent your time else and now want to cheat on your final degree. If it wasn't like that you would have stated what sort of problem you facing.

Thread closed.

commented: close++ +20
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.