Hi. I'm trying to debug a program that was written in Aztec C.
I would like to use a familiar environment like VS2005.
Is there any way to make VS2005 use the Aztec C compiler commands (from Aztec BIN folder)?

If not VS2005, is there some way I can debug the program?
I can use the command prompt to compile the files, but I'm looking for a visual debugging tool.

Thank you

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Tom Gunn

Is there any way to make VS2005 use the Aztec C compiler commands (from Aztec BIN folder)?

No, but if the code does not rely on extensions to the language/library by Aztec C, you can probably port the code to VS2005 without much trouble. I am not sure if the code you want to debug is pre-standard or not, but VC does allow K&R style code still, so that should not be a huge problem.

If not VS2005, is there some way I can debug the program?

Most debuggers will not care what compiler compiled the executable, but you will not get pretty source level information. That will make debugging harder.

Thank you for the answer.
I will explain further what I have and need.

The program I have is largely Aztec C code but there is an Assembly part which constructs the OS (it's from the 80's when people wrote their own OS).

I have successfully compiled the code using Aztec C compiler (3.4 from http://www.aztecmuseum.ca/compilers.htm). The program is working and running.

Now I want to study the code and I would like to use a contemporary debugging tool to do so. Is there some IDE out there that will allow me to run a third party compiler and then use the debug tool?

Or is there another solution for me?

Thank you

Edited by GadiK: n/a

As I said, you can use any debugger you want. But if there is no debug information, you will not get source code matching, just a disassembly. The debug information comes from the compiler, which is why matching the compiler and debugger makes life easier.

Your options have not changed:

• Port the code to another compiler and use the paired debugger.
  • Use any debugger you want and work with the assembly listing.
  • Use the debugger that came with Aztec C in an emulator, if there is one.
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.