I have to connect remotely to my MSSQL database. However, I am a little unsure as to the best way to do this. Can I connect directly to the database from my client machine, or would it be best to create some kind of local script that does the connection and serves XML or JSON to my client?
Also, what what will need to be configured on my database to allow this connection, and on the computer hosting the database? Will I need to set it up as a web-server?

Member Avatar for 12d3

I have to connect remotely to my MSSQL database. However, I am a little unsure as to the best way to do this. Can I connect directly to the database from my client machine, or would it be best to create some kind of local script that does the connection and serves XML or JSON to my client?
Also, what what will need to be configured on my database to allow this connection, and on the computer hosting the database? Will I need to set it up as a web-server?

This may help:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread21636.html

Personally, I think there is no need to use XML for this... but I suppose it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.