ai..
i have try alot of times connecting the database in Ms Office Access 2003 with VB 6. bUT there is error when i try to connect between "record source" in vb with data that i save.Can anyone help me and give me some advise,references or way to solve this prob.Plz..I reallly appreciate.Thanx

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

hello there,
as far as i know vb6 can only manage access 97 file formats.
so if you wanna get access to your database you should convert it into access 97 file format.
to do that go to Tools >> Database Utilities >> Convert Database >> To Access 97 file Format .after that you will not be able to modify your database.
i am not sure if you have already done that , but i hope this helps.
hatem..

You HAVE to convert the database file to a 97 format. Vb6 was written when office 97 was out so they only desgined it to be compatible with 97 format. When you convert you canoot edit the file. You'll have to edit it in 2003 then convert it again. Best to use the visual data tool in vb or get a copy of office 97.

Why not just do this in sql?

Service pack 6 would fix this problem and add the libraries techniner said. You do not need to change the format to 97. The access 2003 default database is created as an access 2000 database anyway.

I rest my case.... :cheesy:

I hope this is not too late.
VB6 (and even VB5) can work with Access 2000 and 2003 databases using either ADO or DAO object. For ADO, just specify Jet 4.0 as a prvider:

Provider = Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;

With DAO it is something different. VB5 and VB6 use MS Jet 3.5 and DAO 3.51, and for Access 2003 and 2000 you need DAO 3.6 and MS Jet 4.0.
So, if you do not have MS Jet 4.0 installed on your computer, you should download it form http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829558

Then in your VB project open menu Project->References
Then turn off the Microsoft DAO 3.51 Object Library (if checked) and
Check (turn on) the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library.

And that's all. Now your project will work with Access 2000 and 2003 databases using DAO object.

I hope this helps.

BR,
Faik

Yup. VB6 has also the ability to use the "createobject" function for late binding of objects. Which basically means, that any program (including office 2k / 2003) that has a public base class IS ACCESSIBLE from vb6.....

ai..
i have try a lot of times connecting the database in Ms Office Access 2003 with VB 6. but there is error when i try to connect between "record source" in vb with data that i save.Can anyone help me and give me some advise,references or way to solve this prob.Plz..I reallly appreciate.Thanks

How you are connecting to database ?

through code or by setting properties only ?

please mention the error code and error message for further assistance.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.