I'M trying to switch from Windows to Ubuntu Linux. I'M trying to learn how to program and since I am also trying to move to Linux, thought that mono would be a good place for me to start. But I noticed when I installed mono (http://www.mono-project.org), it said I needed .NET(on my windows machine). I thought mono was an open source counterpart to .NET, so why should it be required? What happens when I go to install mono on my Linux, you can't get .NET for Linux anyway can you?
So am I right assuming that the mono project with C# would be good place to start, considering I'M trying to move to Linux?
Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by lewashby

Yep mono is the way to go, and you don't need .NET installed. It's already installed on ubuntu and used by many app (tomboy, fspot & banshee). But before coding you will need to install monodevelop.

It's worth looking at these tutorials.

Edited by pymatio: n/a

Yep mono is the way to go, and you don't need .NET installed. It's already installed on ubuntu and used by many app (tomboy, fspot & banshee). But before coding you will need to install monodevelop.

It's worth looking at these tutorials.

Thanks, I found both of you links very helpful.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.