I'M trying to switch from Windows to Ubuntu Linux. I'M trying to learn how to program and since I am also trying to move to Linux, thought that mono would be a good place for me to start. But I noticed when I installed mono (http://www.mono-project.org), it said I needed .NET(on my windows machine). I thought mono was an open source counterpart to .NET, so why should it be required? What happens when I go to install mono on my Linux, you can't get .NET for Linux anyway can you?
So am I right assuming that the mono project with C# would be good place to start, considering I'M trying to move to Linux?
Thanks

Yep mono is the way to go, and you don't need .NET installed. It's already installed on ubuntu and used by many app (tomboy, fspot & banshee). But before coding you will need to install monodevelop.

It's worth looking at these tutorials.

Yep mono is the way to go, and you don't need .NET installed. It's already installed on ubuntu and used by many app (tomboy, fspot & banshee). But before coding you will need to install monodevelop.

It's worth looking at these tutorials.

Thanks, I found both of you links very helpful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.