>Okay i really thought servercrash had written winxp in java
:rolleyes:

>I've even heard you can't do it in c/c++ either...But don't know if that's true or not.
It's true, some routines have to be written in assembly (paging and context switching for example), though not many. So an OS can be written mostly in C or C++.

You can't write an OS purely in Java. I've even heard you can't do it in c/c++ either...But don't know if that's true or not.

Depends on the hardware. If you have a JVM in hardware there's no reason it can't load the rest from classfiles.
Of course it might be somewhat feature limited because of Java's restrictions on direct hardware access but that all again depends on the hardware.

That was my problem in thinking about this. I couldn't see where the JVM would come in to play, which I know it must.

Kaffe.
:) (extra text added because my message was too short)

I thought you didn't like Kaffe? Or could you not find anything else?

I couldn't find anything else :(
Anyway, Kaffe is open source, I'll just put the code into my kernel...

Hi everyone,

Actually mmiikkee you can do this os the short cut way. Simply download any dos clones(practically hundreds on the internet like freedos). Next you know when a command line system sets up you finally reach to this line "C:/". Now in the sources of that dos clone you will be able to see that when everything sets up they use the standard c library to call that line thus making it like a standard c program but what you can do is delete that line and add in your own desktop(probably a jar file) so instead of that command line being shown you desktop is executed and shown.

Now you will be thinking that how that can be possible, when you don't have a jvm but don't forget that because this is a dos clone thus windows programs using standard C/C++ library(not to be mistaken with winapi) can practically be installed on it. Now when you execute that program using the jar command it will be recognised.

One thing that you need to note is that the java installer probably uses some kind of win gui when it installs although java has nothing to do with it. You can get all the java sources from sun in C/C++ and compile them and install them on the command line of the dos clone by yourself or using some software.

Now the next thing is that you need to clone all the functions(including all their way of doing things and registry system(the registry system is most probably included in the dos clone) of windows explorer in java plus mixing a bit of C/C++ or pascal or assembly for low level access.

Next you will have to worry about drivers of pci cards and related hardware. If you notice a lot of manufacturers are avoiding using winapi but are using the standard C/C++ library with their own built in look and feel(they are afraid that if too many people make the switch to linux they won't have software for their hardware thus causing huge financial loses to them). Because your main base is a dos clone, standard C/C++ library, pascal library can be ported to it. If you do everything correctly these drivers should be able to be installed right on top of your os.

Another thing you may find that writing your own windows desktop clone in java may be overwhelming, don't worry there are plenty of open source ones on the internet for download.

What i have descibed to you may sound easy but don't be fooled its real hard work and can easily take you two to three years to complete. If you know your history well you would also know that bill gates did not write his own kernel, he bought it.

I also heard that the new windows version code named longhorn has been renamed Windows Vista, i have a feeling its a short form for
Windows Asta La Vista - Haaaahaaahaaa - a little humour for you

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

ps. I do not hate Microsoft

JVM is an operating system. Java was created for use in embedded systems. Thats why your java programs are compiled into java byte code.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.