hey,
to start with heres the backdrop;
me and a friend from school have a year to create a fully working web browser and for this i think C++ would be best.
heres where i need help, i have no experience with C++ and i need to learn it from near-scratch.
so what steps should i take and how should i start it?
should i sit and learn C++ first or learn as i progress?
what programs should i use as a compiler and to write the code?
what engine should i use?

how do i incorporate all this into a program?
what other advice can you give?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Books and Tutorials.

Do you have any other programming experience?

hey,
to start with heres the backdrop;
me and a friend from school have a year to create a fully working web browser and for this i think C++ would be best.
heres where i need help, i have no experience with C++ and i need to learn it from near-scratch.
so what steps should i take and how should i start it?
should i sit and learn C++ first or learn as i progress?
what programs should i use as a compiler and to write the code?
what engine should i use?

Why not start with something simpler like writing an operating system? :P

commented: FTW +2

When you have 1 year time for this i guess someone wants you tod o this project.
So im guessing as well you have some programming experience.
Why dont you try a language you´re familiar with? Check maybe in the internet if its possible with these languages you already know to create a web browser, so you don´t neet to start from scratch.

And to start with, i personaly would try to get informations how explorer, firefox,google chrome or safari was created.

use event handlers, probably be easier in java since it comes with a lot of predefined shapes and stuff.

I've been studying C++ and programming for about a year. I know I am not capable of building a web browser yet. The only GUI I ever get to use for programming is the command prompt. Looking forward to the day they teach us about graphics though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.