I i've looked for a shell scripted forum but it's based on .nix so it doesn't apply to me .

I'm making a program that will attempt to lessen the effects of a flash drive when placed in an infected pc.

Basically it will make a folder named autorun.inf
then make a folder named "con" inside it...

the problem is that the system function ( "mkdir con" );
says "invalid directory", I know that MS prevents the end user from making Aux, con etc. but is their any way to make the folder without typing it into the command.exe window? ( to make it more user friendly )... ( .bat files don't work... same error )
Thank you in advance...

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Just use a different name - con is taken by the system. Doesn't matter how you try to get the program to use that name.

System has first "dibs" on it. ;)

I'm making a program that will attempt to lessen the effects of a flash drive when placed in an infected pc.

Basically it will make a folder named autorun.inf
then make a folder named "con" inside it...

oh, look, another skript kiddie trying to write a piece of malware.

i know you think you're clever, but this trick is like 15 years old, and won't crash computers with OS'es from the 21st Century.

Jephthah, what's the old trick? He wants to re-direct the con stream someplace so the user can't see it?

Geez, i thought the Prince of Persia game was a riot when it turned my screen upside down after my character drank the wrong potion! ;)

... ok, fine , is there anyway to make a folder that can't be deleted... or to prevent a virus from deleting a folder or creating a file?
Edit:I'm not trying to write a virus...come on now...

... ok, fine , is there anyway to make a folder that can't be deleted... or to prevent a virus from deleting a folder or creating a file?
Edit:I'm not trying to write a virus...come on now...

What you are looking for is something that is entirely up to the operating system - file permissions, authorizations to access certain folders or drives.

You can make it more difficult. I had a virus that did that to me, once. Had to reformat the HD to get rid of it.

I'm not sure why you want to do this, but you can see where it looks like it's a malware/virus topic.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.