Hi,Using Vb net (2005) in Win Forms, in my app. I have many Win Forms one off them is "SetupOption" this need to be shown at least once at the first time I run the app and never ever after unless I need to change some settings,. then my question: How to setup flags to check if "SetupOption" has been shown, if it was shown then do not show it again unless ask to, through a menu click. please someone enlight me and thank you in advance

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi,Using Vb net (2005) in Win Forms, in my app. I have many Win Forms one off them is "SetupOption" this need to be shown at least once at the first time I run the app and never ever after unless I need to change some settings,. then my question: How to setup flags to check if "SetupOption" has been shown, if it was shown then do not show it again unless ask to, through a menu click. please someone enlight me and thank you in advance

Hi Andy.

I can think of several ways of doing this: Registry Keys, Text Files, Database etc.

How do you plan to store your Settings information (for retrieval)?

Probably the simplest method though, if you don't want to get into reading and writing to the Registry or set up a Database, is to use a simple text file.

In your main StartUp Form (or other suitable location) look to see if the text file exists - if not, open the Setup form and create the file.

HTH,

Chris.

Hi, Again since I am using VB net(2005) I intent to use Application Settings
This is what I have done so far in Project Windows
Name Type Scope Value
SetupOption Boolean User False
I don't have any clue to How and Where and write the proper syntax for those flags . Thank you in advance

Hi Andy,

To be honest (from your posts) I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to ask/achieve.

As I suggested before though, the Text File option (exists/does not exist) is probably the easiest way to determine if the SetupOption form you mention has been shown.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.