I'd like to team up with another beginner in C++ to write a role playing game. I'm a beginner also. Is there another beginner that would like to work with me as a team to make something? Please, no flames. The goal is to write a game that will use C++ standard libraries and be portable to all platforms. Anyone out there? Also would like play testers once it gets to the point where it's playable. Thanks everyone!

Xeys

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I might be persuaded as a C++ beginner. Have you written any smaller games before now?

Tell me a bit more about your idea.

I'd like to team up with another beginner in C++ to write a role playing game. I'm a beginner also. Is there another beginner that would like to work with me as a team to make something? Please, no flames. The goal is to write a game that will use C++ standard libraries and be portable to all platforms. Anyone out there? Also would like play testers once it gets to the point where it's playable. Thanks everyone!

Xeys

How "beginner" are you looking for? :) I just started to learn how to program yesterday. You don't get much more green than I am right now.

Hi Decessus,

Good for you. How are you feeling so far ? I've been programming in general 6 years now and I still feel lost a lot of the time !!

What lead you to learn programming ? have you started a course / job / new hobbie ?

I take it as you are in the C/C++ forum it's C that you're learning.

My personal experience so far has been programming tutorials/books are two a penny but they skim over the real nitty gritty like dealing with compiler errors and how to manage your header files and source files to actually get your source into an executable format.

What compiler/IDE are you using ? and your platform Windows / Linux / both ?

Hi Decessus,

Good for you. How are you feeling so far ? I've been programming in general 6 years now and I still feel lost a lot of the time !!

What lead you to learn programming ? have you started a course / job / new hobbie ?

I take it as you are in the C/C++ forum it's C that you're learning.

My personal experience so far has been programming tutorials/books are two a penny but they skim over the real nitty gritty like dealing with compiler errors and how to manage your header files and source files to actually get your source into an executable format.

What compiler/IDE are you using ? and your platform Windows / Linux / both ?

I've started programming for part hobby, part career development. I'm interested in getting into the gaming industry, but I also enjoy it as a creative hobby.

I'm currently learning from a book titled "Beginning C++ Game Programming" by Michael Dawson. While I can't compare it to other books since this is my first one, it does seem to explain things very well. There have been a few things I've had to get outside help on, but overall I really don't feel completely lost just yet. Of course, I am only on chapter 1 so that may change soon enough.

I'm using Dev-C++ IDE on a Window's system. It was included with the book on a CD-ROM.

Dev-C++ I'm using that too.

I've installed Cygwin on my windows XP as well so I can use the gnu compiler gcc and compile for linux.

My biggest problems so far are compiling .lib and .dll and then including them in other projects. And getting environment variables right to point to where my include files are like windows.h and stdlib etc..

I've got VC++ 6 and Visual Studio 2003 at work so I've used those a little but they hide too much and try to be too clever.

So far I like Dev-C++ best.

I'm reading Sams Teach yourself C++ in 21 Days 4th Edition by Jesse Liberty (I've had it a lot longer than 21 days!!). I also have managed to get my hands on a copy of the legendery "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie !

I have found C the hardest language to learn, not from a syntax point of view but from a hard work particularly the compiling testing and debugging, sheesh!

For right now, I'm just going to stick with one compiler. Perhaps once I get a little more familiar with the language I'll be better able to judge how good they each are. I know in the Michael Dawson book, he does say that he doesn't recommend Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. He says that when it compiles, it fails to implement C++ in some pretty important ways. He doesn't give any specific examples though.

Well, I'm back, I've had to take care of a few things over the last couple of days. The goal of the project is to make a simple framework that will be expandable. It will start with 1 room, and about 3 maybe 4 objects. 1 player, 1 monster(generic), 1 sword, and the room itself will be an object. The idea is to make it work with one room, with one weapon, with one monster, with one player. Sounds really silly, but it will be hard enough to just get that going. What I want mainly are ideas for what these objects are going to do. For example, the player can wield a sword. I'm thinking about something like

player.attack(sword,monster);

Maybe I'm real off, but this is big enough for a first project. And it's possible that this will just be a learning project, and if so, great. Writing to and reading from files will be part of it, but probably not at first. We're looking at about 4-10 classes. The idea is that eventually inheritance will be used; player class, weapon class, monster class, and room class. Inheritance can take these generic objects and "flesh them out"; but that is a long term goal.
I'm gonna start looking at these classes and what attributes and methods they should use. If you'd like to message in, I'm at xeys_00@yahoo.com. And the game will be called Xeysia. DON'T EXPECT EVERQUEST. I'll be glad if it just compiles. And I may ask questions and need help about using multiple files. If anyone sees major problems with my thought process here, message in and let me know.

Laters

Xeys

I wont say Dev-C++ isnt good, because it is fantastic
But your views on the visual studio IDE's are totally mislead
they hide nothing from you at all. its just organized in a way
that you need to know exactly what your looking for.
Im sure the layout may appear that way, as its what microsoft
does best lol.
But if you really look at whats going on, its all right in front of you
no more then 2/3 clicks to get to anything at all.

I do have to admit though, the IDEs over 98' (c++ 6)
seems to be too dependant on the .NET framework
for code generation where anything prior has done it more
nativly.

I did a few tests to confirm it
*using the different .net framework versions etc.*
and the binary exe files did vary a little bit.
where in c++6 it was always the same code.
unless an option inside the compiler itself was changed.

- PS. What kind of beginner u looking for?
while im no C++ beginner, i am a game dev beginner.
So id be open to helping out.
to this day i still have trouble with it.
I tried the DX9 SDK and flunked so
I am going to try to learn some SDL.
- I can draw pixels YAY! lol -

Dev-C++ I'm using that too.
I've got VC++ 6 and Visual Studio 2003 at work so I've used those a little but they hide too much and try to be too clever.

So far I like Dev-C++ best.

Member Avatar for Electrohead

I'd like to team up with another beginner in C++ to write a role playing game.

I stopped reading there. I know a little of C++ and there is no point starting at what is actually a very complex project.

That's like jumping in the deep end before you can swim.

Try making some simple math programs. Area calculators are fun. That's how i got started with C++

Cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.