Lately I purchased VC++ 6. It worked well for a while until it suddenly ceased to function at all just a few days ago.

Here is what happens: Visual Studio opens and runs well enough. I can open a project, edit code, and so on. I can execute my program - let's say it's called "MyDirectXGame.exe" (Win32 applications are what I am dealing with here). My program runs like it should. But when I close the application I have made, everything falls apart. The whole system slows to a crawl; the mouse and keyboard either freeze completely or become very jerky.

I open Task Manager (CPU at 100% - no surprise there) while this is happening and find the source of the problem. "Applications" is empty, as it should be, but under "Processes" I find a process called "MyDirectXGame.exe". Apparently, the program I made is still running, even though I closed it.

This is not a problem with my hardware - I am working with a high-performance PC.

This is not a problem with my code - it happens with Microsoft sample projects too.

My VC++ 6 has not always been like this - apparently something triggered this change in behavior.

My ideas for what might be causing this (though I still have no idea):

- I am running NetZero, which has lately been very temperamental.

- I am running WinXP Home Edition, which was made before VC++ 6

- I have a vague suspicion that visual studio might be
trying to run as if it were on Windows NT.

- The last thing I did before the problems began was to install Norton
Antivirus. I quickly found out that by disabling this I was able to
get NetZero to work again. However, Visual Studio still has
crashing problem with Norton disabled.

- Before my problems began, I manually inserted several DirectX
header files into Visual Studio's "VC98" "Include" file. This caused
no immediate change in behavior, but it could presumably be a
cause.

Please help me out!

Thanks,
synth

>Lately I purchased VC++ 6.
If by "lately", you mean in the last four years, you really should work on shopping around instead of buying the first thing you see. I hope you didn't pay much for it. Not only is VC++ 6 old, it was crappy when it was new.

> - I am running WinXP Home Edition, which was made before VC++ 6
Um, Windows XP is newer than Visual Studio 6.

Did you reinstall the compiler? If not, go do that.

Lately I purchased VC++ 6. It worked well for a while until it suddenly ceased to function at all just a few days ago.

Here is what happens: Visual Studio opens and runs well enough. I can open a project, edit code, and so on. I can execute my program - let's say it's called "MyDirectXGame.exe" (Win32 applications are what I am dealing with here). My program runs like it should. But when I close the application I have made, everything falls apart. The whole system slows to a crawl; the mouse and keyboard either freeze completely or become very jerky.

I open Task Manager (CPU at 100% - no surprise there) while this is happening and find the source of the problem. "Applications" is empty, as it should be, but under "Processes" I find a process called "MyDirectXGame.exe". Apparently, the program I made is still running, even though I closed it.

This is not a problem with my hardware - I am working with a high-performance PC.

This is not a problem with my code - it happens with Microsoft sample projects too.

My VC++ 6 has not always been like this - apparently something triggered this change in behavior.

My ideas for what might be causing this (though I still have no idea):

- I am running NetZero, which has lately been very temperamental.

- I am running WinXP Home Edition, which was made before VC++ 6

- I have a vague suspicion that visual studio might be
trying to run as if it were on Windows NT.

- The last thing I did before the problems began was to install Norton
Antivirus. I quickly found out that by disabling this I was able to
get NetZero to work again. However, Visual Studio still has
crashing problem with Norton disabled.

- Before my problems began, I manually inserted several DirectX
header files into Visual Studio's "VC98" "Include" file. This caused
no immediate change in behavior, but it could presumably be a
cause.

Please help me out!

Thanks,
synth

First XP Home is a WindowsNT version. So that shouldnt matter.
Heres a few things to try.

Instal Visual Studio/C++ Service pack 5 ( i think is the latest one )
Make sure you dont have a virus. this can cause problems. big time.
Is there something else trying to interfere with it? Norton? McAfee? AdAware?

Man, gotta run sorry ill finish this post later, try those 3 things first

You could also try running the executable outside of the IDE. (Unless you need to do 'step by step' debugging..)

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.